DIY Beyerdynamic M-380

A few years ago I stumbled onto a thread here, viewtopic.php?f=5&t=66746 covering a beyerdynamic M-380 capsule replacement suggesting the element at the heart of the mic was also used as the driver in the 600 ohm version of the beyer DT-770/880/990 headphones. Inspired and unable to afford a real 380, I decided to make my own. I Just finished them a few days ago, pics and saga below.
The project was simplified when I found a seller with 2 matching, unused bodies (they said beyer said they're 380, but they look like opus 65, same difference?) There was no felt on the capsule mounting frame, and the little shockmounts for said frame were missing. I was able to get a good look at some in a dead TG-x50 I got on the cheap, but unable to easily source them, I decided to just make something. I cut a Y shaped piece out of a neoprene mousepad and z-folded it to get sort of the same effect. Some screws were missing also, but the "HarDware" store had some that worked. M-2.5-0.45 x 6mm for the shockmount attachments. Same thread but a slightly shorter countersunk screw is what's used on the top of the body to secure it closed (I had the originals but this might be useful info)
I got some used 600R DT-XX0 drivers, the two I ultimately used are not from the same pair, but one DT-770 and one DT-880. Different color plastic, slight difference in magnet shape, measure the same DCR and sound the same on initial listening anyway. They needed some cleaning up as hair found it's way to them. Lots of alcohol, and lots of isopropyl alcohol and some gentle cotton-swab and toothpick action got them cleaned up, and they fit right into the capsule frame used in the mic bodies. Reassuring.
A crafty friend donated some felt, and after much indecision I attached it to the frame with Tacky (PVA) glue, as it has potential to be forgiving should I need to make changes down the road. It's bonded nicely. I attached the metal diaphragm cover the same way. Spread the glue carefully with a toothpick to thoroughly cover just the appropriate surfaces.

The TG-x50 had a small foam strip attached to the sides of the capsule frame. It looks like it's 1/8" x1/4"wide, but I had 1/4" x 3/8" on hand so I used that, for now anyway. It's the wrong color and you can kinda see it through the grill where the halves of the body meet, but whatever. Images I found online show a piece of felt covering the rear of the element also, so I glued a piece there as well.
Soldered up wires to the capsule. Fucked up and pulled one of the tabs breaking the connection with the coil wire, which is damn near invisible., but recovered successfully and got it located and reconnected without issue. If you do this, turn down the heat on the iron a bit and be careful. It's worth noting the real M-380 has a humbucking coil, which the above referenced thread indicated made no notable difference when omitting. Not finding any info on said coil, I decided to omit it as well. All wired up, stuffed a piece of the white felt from the headphone remnants into the neck of the mics and closed them up.

They work! I don't have a real M380 to compare with, but they pass sound, have a nice strong output and seem to exhibit the extreme proximity effect, and are certainly fig-8 pattern. I haven't recorded any samples yet, but will try to at some point to share.

Finding the mic bodies made this a much easier project, but it could totally be done without. Some more serious hardware hacking might be necessary, but the open-back DT-880 can housing could probably be modified to make a functional, round version which I suspect wouldn't alter the functionality significantly. I didn't have to go that route, but I'd be interested to see/hear the results if anyone does.

I originally detailed this project in a different (gasp) forum groupdiy.com/threads/beyerdynamic-m380- ... rts.68413/
Last edited by thecr4ne on Fri May 07, 2021 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: DIY Beyerdynamic M-380

Highly clinical sweeps. Test done in untreated bedroom, Mic on stand in front of speaker (Tannoy i8, rated +/-3dB 85HZ-22Khz, so not the full picture re: low end) Sweeps done with Rightmark Audio Analyzer free version 6.4.5. "Close" is about 1inch from speaker Grill, "Far" is about 3ft away. A and B represent the two mics.

Wow, thank you for posting all this, very impressive work. Do you mind if I share it with the marketing people at Beyerdynamic? I''m trying to convince them that a new-made M380 would be a good reissue project, and showing the lengths people will go in their absence may help.

-steve

Hey Steve,
Wow back, and thanks for making me aware of this mic in the first place. Yes, you're absolutely welcome to share this with Beyerdynamic folks. I'll feel all warm and fuzzy inside if it actually leads to something.
-Chris
steve wrote: Wow, thank you for posting all this, very impressive work. Do you mind if I share it with the marketing people at Beyerdynamic? I''m trying to convince them that a new-made M380 would be a good reissue project, and showing the lengths people will go in their absence may help.

-steve

AstroRoadie wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:57 pm Keep an eye on German eBay. I scored one two years ago for £460 and another last year for £540. Not cheap but both were mint.
Yes, but I'M cheap. Not to mention not all German ebay sellers are willing to ship internationally, and not all buyers have friends in Germany to help them out in that situation (I do, but still).

I think I spent maybe $450 on this project, shipping included, and most of that was the cost of the new mic bodies. The dead TG-x50 cost me $47, and I have another headphone driver so I could make a third without increasing the total cost. That's $150 per mic if you split it evenly 3 ways, and it could've cost less if I kept scouring for dead mics instead of buying the unused bodies.

The whole point of this project was to save money and make something otherwise inaccessible accessible. Sharing the project I hope will make it accessible for more like me who have the time and patience to do it themselves and achieve comparable sonic results to the thing we can't afford. The money saved can be put toward the next DIY hack and maybe we'll end up with more things that sound good.

If somehow this does lead to Beyer reissuing the M380, even better, but that's a previously unfathomable bonus.

Also, nice score on the mint M380's

thecr4ne wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:03 pm
AstroRoadie wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:57 pm Keep an eye on German eBay. I scored one two years ago for £460 and another last year for £540. Not cheap but both were mint.
Yes, but I'M cheap. Not to mention not all German ebay sellers are willing to ship internationally, and not all buyers have friends in Germany to help them out in that situation (I do, but still).

I think I spent maybe $450 on this project, shipping included, and most of that was the cost of the new mic bodies. The dead TG-x50 cost me $47, and I have another headphone driver so I could make a third without increasing the total cost. That's $150 per mic if you split it evenly 3 ways, and it could've cost less if I kept scouring for dead mics instead of buying the unused bodies.

The whole point of this project was to save money and make something otherwise inaccessible accessible. Sharing the project I hope will make it accessible for more like me who have the time and patience to do it themselves and achieve comparable sonic results to the thing we can't afford. The money saved can be put toward the next DIY hack and maybe we'll end up with more things that sound good.

If somehow this does lead to Beyer reissuing the M380, even better, but that's a previously unfathomable bonus.

Also, nice score on the mint M380's
What you've done is nothing short of spectacular especially at that cost. I almost attempted this myself as I didn't want to pay a grand for one, then my German friend kindly kept me informed when a couple popped up.

These mics were doorstops if they broke. You've given us all hope.

AstroRoadie wrote:
What you've done is nothing short of spectacular especially at that cost. I almost attempted this myself as I didn't want to pay a grand for one, then my German friend kindly kept me informed when a couple popped up.

These mics were doorstops if they broke. You've given us all hope.
Thanks. Now we can all have Microphonic doorstops! Also, I don't want to take excessive credit for more than I actually did, which was mostly information gathering and posting about it all in one place. Credit where credit is due:

Thanks to Steve for always making sure to mention the M380

Thanks to Matt McGlynn of http://recordinghacks.com/ and micparts.com and https://roswellproaudio.com/ for bringing up the M380 and casually mentioning the headphone driver element in this video specifically https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQff8xVfqcU&t=3773s which led me here (and also for his work on the recordinghacks mic database which I reference constantly)

Thanks to PRF user JohnnySomersett for posting about his repair and providing crucial images (included in one of my previous replies ) in his now archived post here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=66746