Re: Recommend a cheap ribbon mic

Another +1 on the Cascade. I've had a Gomez, which is basically their most souped up Fathead (now discontinued) for years. It's awesome. I also have a Coles 4038 which does sound better, but they're closer than one might like to admit with almost a $1,000 difference in price.

As stated above, I take a whole different approach to eq'ing a ribbon like that. Usually a wide, high shelf boosting the upper frequencies, sometimes kind of a lot, and it just sounds good. Usually a high pass filter as well unless I'm looking for some boom down under.

If it's ever back in stock, I'm planning to get a few of these Monoprice LR-100's. They've been out of stock for months (probably stuck in a canal or something)
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=625908

In the review section is a positive and thoughtful review by someone with the handle Peter J, which (questionably? ) makes some reference to a Coles 4038. Worth a read at least.

I'm a fan of monoprice in general (I use lots of their AV stuff at work) they're local to me in southern CA, and they released this mic recently along with a tube mic (apex 460 circuit) and a few other FET condensers. I have a few of their Multipartern FET condensers, the LC200, which is comparable to other Chinese mics of similar design, though with an admittedly less heavy duty body than most. I'd expect the body of the ribbon to be the same quality.

You can't beat the price, and they do have sales often enough. Here's hoping they restock

The Nady RSM-5 was my first ever ribbon mic. I've used them for various applications... Most often as drum overheads, or a room mic for guitar cab. Tried them for vocals and didn't really like it. They give off a darker, yet detailed and fairly warm tone.

Using a ribbon mic for the first time ever (after almost 10 years of recording music) was a bit of a shock for me, as I imagine it might be for you. Because they provide a much different tonality than a dynamic or condenser.

I'll also mention I think these Nady RSM-5 mics perform well, but over time if you really beat em up they may decline in usability.

I had XLR to 1/4" cables plugged into them and I believe overloaded them with gain (by trying to emulate the hot-signal-to-tape sounds of Big Star) ...which didn't make them unusable, but certainly I don't believe they've been the same since. They basically were outputting a very low signal with max gain settings after I blew them out, then suddenly, a decent increase in signal once I switched back to XLR cables. Who knows...

I've switched to the sE Voodoo and I also have used the sE XR-1's both of which are better than the Nady RSM-5 for sure.

I have two Oktava MJI-53 mics that I like. I think you can still find them cheap. They also have a newer model that I really want to try when I have some extra dough. The fat heads are really great like everyone has said here and I'm looking forward to buying more. I have never used a Royer so I can't say anything + or - about them.
"There's a felling I get when I look to the west"
"When the meaningful words. When they cease to function. When there's nothing to say."