Frank Zappa?

CRAP
Total votes: 44 (41%)
NOT CRAP
Total votes: 63 (59%)
Total votes: 107

Artist: Frank Zappa

This guy is not crap. It's impossible fro him to be crap.... I mean you might not like his music, but he's just not crap. He's done too fucking much to be crap. His nose is way too big to be crap. Sure, he's pretty fucking annoying at times, but he's also brilliant as a composer, and guitar player and a crazy son of a bitch. NOT CRAP, or anywhere near it.

WF high on this one because he "produced" trout mask replica and because "we're only in it for the money" is funny. mostly crap, though. I feel crappy saying that because he's dead and can't defend himself, but I'm sure somebody else will defend him so "crap".

Sorry, dude - I think this one is written on stone tablets somewhere. Zappa == crap. Might as well be Crappa. Testifying against the PMRC and facilitating Beefheart records cannot overcome the horror that is his music. Beefheart on the other hand - Not Crap. Wow, this game is great. You know if everybody just learned to read binary faster, we could store 8 Crap/Not Crap calls in the space it takes to store a single character. Think about that, eh? The word 'crap' alone could store thirty-two Craps. That's enough to cover everyone on Maverick Records and get Nickelback twice!

Dan

I said not crap cuz the Mothers still blow my mind after all these years

The Mothers were a rite of passage for 12-15 year old potheads(OH, Irony) starting to appreciate "weird" stuff.

As Lester Bangs once said,
"Frank Zappa's only cool when he knows more than you" Once the bong hits wear off and you learn more about the world, Frank Zappa is smug and not really funny.

After he started playing muso guitar, who really cares?

I just have to bump this one. Sorry. At least on this one I can understand the controversy; I fully expected there to be faction, but so many "craps" and not one serious rebutal? Where the hell is the Zappa evangelist on these boards? EDIT: Nevermind, I found them, whew.

NOT CRAP. Not even close to crap. :WF: of negative. On a case by case level, there are certainly songs, or even albums, that might get the crap vote, but over all.... EDDIE, ARE YOU KIDDING!?!?! First of all, he didn't have "albums", he had records (of an event; of people, playing music, in a room--get out of my head, Ani!), and a few of them are only meaningful, or more meaningful, if you understand their circumstances. That limits their full enjoyability to foggies, anthropologists, and zappateers. Actually, there's no point in justifying those songs as "not crap" because none of you have heard them, anyway.

For that matter, you probably haven't heard any of it. At least one of you voted "crap" cause you were bored and trigger-happy. Or your brother's girlfriend's fuck-buddy played you the Ishtar soundtrack while you were high and you thought she said it was Zappa.

He didn't write (much) commercial shit for you to hear, over and over, from your favorite clear channel provider. Even if his music hadn't been banned all over the place, and you had *gasp* heard some of it, I can't guarantee you'd like it; It's too smart for you (or too stupid). The man was a genius, musically and otherwise. He composed in what most people would consider 4-6 completely different genres, and fabulously so in all of them. He is, to use a cliché, one of the GREAT American composers. His classical stuff is killer (at least, on occasion), his rock is nearly unrivaled, and his satire is relentless. The progress he made for us all socially, culturally and musically will never be forgotten, but always underappreciated. All of you stopped reading three paragraphs ago, so why go on? Bottom line: Don't knock it 'till you've tried it. "But I have heard it, it's crap..." Grow up. Take your head out of your ass--the accoustics are better--and try again. If you want a recomendation, PM me.
NOT CRAP.

Sticky wrote:I just have to bump this one. Sorry. At least on this one I can understand the controversy; I fully expected there to be faction, but so many "craps" and not one serious rebutal? Where the hell is the Zappa evangelist on these boards? EDIT: Nevermind, I found them, whew.

NOT CRAP. Not even close to crap. :WF: of negative. On a case by case level, there are certainly songs, or even albums, that might get the crap vote, but over all.... EDDIE, ARE YOU KIDDING!?!?! First of all, he didn't have "albums", he had records (of an event; of people, playing music, in a room--get out of my head, Ani!), and a few of them are only meaningful, or more meaningful, if you understand their circumstances. That limits their full enjoyability to foggies, anthropologists, and zappateers. Actually, there's no point in justifying those songs as "not crap" because none of you have heard them, anyway.

For that matter, you probably haven't heard any of it. At least one of you voted "crap" cause you were bored and trigger-happy. Or your brother's girlfriend's fuck-buddy played you the Ishtar soundtrack while you were high and you thought she said it was Zappa.

He didn't write (much) commercial shit for you to hear, over and over, from your favorite clear channel provider. Even if his music hadn't been banned all over the place, and you had *gasp* heard some of it, I can't guarantee you'd like it; It's too smart for you (or too stupid). The man was a genius, musically and otherwise. He composed in what most people would consider 4-6 completely different genres, and fabulously so in all of them. He is, to use a cliché, one of the GREAT American composers. His classical stuff is killer (at least, on occasion), his rock is nearly unrivaled, and his satire is relentless. The progress he made for us all socially, culturally and musically will never be forgotten, but always underappreciated. All of you stopped reading three paragraphs ago, so why go on? Bottom line: Don't knock it 'till you've tried it. "But I have heard it, it's crap..." Grow up. Take your head out of your ass--the accoustics are better--and try again. If you want a recomendation, PM me.
NOT CRAP.

I voted crap just because of this guy.