Re: Small questions that don't fit anywhere

Owen wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:53 am
Dr Tony Balls wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:17 am
Owen wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:59 am That feels wild if he is using the stock speakers.
Not THAT wild. Pretty much everyone was doing that in the 60's. Maybe you had the Marshall "Bass" cab with the lower frequency range 55Hz Celestions, but certainly not everyone was using those.
Maybe I am just a coward about speakers. When I first got my OR120 I blew both 60 watt speakers in my 2x12 within 15 minutes. Granted it was a 2x12 and I used a Super Hard On that I didnt realize was dimed when I engaged it. Ever since that incident, I have been super cautious (maybe to a fault).

I guess Wilco dude isnt driving the shit out of his amp, and 4 30 watt 12" speakers. I know the OR120 sounds rad through 2x15 200 watt bass speakers, I would be scared of killing those old 12s.
I'm going to pretend that when he says "heavy groove" its going to be exactly this tone & volume https://youtu.be/8pQu4mBm5yw?t=57

Weird sudden latency problem in Reaper

Hi, is this where Reaper questions are going? I've posted this question in the Cockos forum, but so far, no solution.

I often run Reaper just monitoring and don't hurry to hit record unless I just want to do a quick phase check. I can go weeks without hitting record, or saving any changes before I shut down.

I have it set up in two cities, using two old Mac minis with OS updates shut off, and two of the same interface, a 16-track 24-bit Tascam US-1800. They have worked stably for me for years, each for as long as I've had them. Often I have the internet connection shut off, too, just to be sure. I'll turn it on occasionally to do Reaper updates. Both are running recent (probably both current) builds of Reaper, 64-bit for pre OS10.15.

In the past ten days, without me changing a goddamn thing to my knowledge, first my system in one city, running only five or six tracks with minimal plugins, suddenly started getting latency of about a full second, which briefly disappeared and reappeared with transition periods of heavy distortion coming thru the headphones. Again, this was just set up as record-armed, monitoring, and not having changed anything in my setup for maybe weeks.

Then today, my system in the other city, running more tracks, also just monitoring without having changed anything significant in weeks, started pulling the same shit.

A fm over yonder said if I'm running plugins never meant to be low latency, such as for mastering, that could be causing it. I believe I'm not; still, even if I were, why on earth suddenly now?

How to fix? Hit me.

Re: Weird sudden latency problem in Reaper

Bubber wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:36 pm two old Mac minis with OS updates shut off, and two of the same interface, a 16-track 24-bit Tascam US-1800. They have worked stably for me for years, each for as long as I've had them. Often I have the internet connection shut off, too, just to be sure. I'll turn it on occasionally to do Reaper updates. Both are running recent (probably both current) builds of Reaper, 64-bit for pre OS10.15.

In the past ten days, without me changing a goddamn thing to my knowledge, first my system in one city, running only five or six tracks with minimal plugins, suddenly started getting latency of about a full second, which briefly disappeared and reappeared with transition periods of heavy distortion coming thru the headphones. Again, this was just set up as record-armed, monitoring, and not having changed anything in my setup for maybe weeks.
I can't speak to the Reaper portion, but I had something similar happen to an old Mac Mini running an old OS with an old version of Pro Tools. My problem was stemming from the Mac trying to update OTHER things (browser/iTunes in my case) when I connected it to the internet. Today I no longer update anything on it, nor do I ever turn on its wifi. The latency was happening on mine because the RAM was being taxed trying to do something it couldn't complete doing.

Hopefully yours is Reaper related though and someone has a solution.
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/

tommy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:47 pm My problem was stemming from the Mac trying to update OTHER things (browser/iTunes in my case) when I connected it to the internet. Today I no longer update anything on it, nor do I ever turn on its wifi. The latency was happening on mine because the RAM was being taxed trying to do something it couldn't complete doing.

Oof. On the first system, I looked at the CPU monitor after this shit started and it wasn't running hard in the least. Maybe its struggles with RAM usage, and whatever else Apple shenanigan related, wouldn't quite show in that monitor. Thanks for weighing in on this. Not sure what to do about it. It's some real bullshit.

Bubber wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:59 pm
tommy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:47 pm My problem was stemming from the Mac trying to update OTHER things (browser/iTunes in my case) when I connected it to the internet. Today I no longer update anything on it, nor do I ever turn on its wifi. The latency was happening on mine because the RAM was being taxed trying to do something it couldn't complete doing.

Oof. On the first system, I looked at the CPU monitor after this shit started and it wasn't running hard in the least. Maybe its struggles with RAM usage, and whatever else Apple shenanigan related, wouldn't quite show in that monitor. Thanks for weighing in on this. Not sure what to do about it. It's some real bullshit.
Are you up to date on yout Reaper Install? I know they just created a Mac installer that is supposed to work for both Intel and M1 macs, might try that. From the description, it sounds like a Mac update might have caused an issue, maybe with the Tascam IO. This would be something I have seen in the past. A Mac update destroying the usefulness of some piece of gear that has functioned properly for a thousand years. You could try rolling back to an older install of Reaper, you can download older versions Here https://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php Maybe the new version is goofy, but I've found Reaper itself to rarely be the problem in situations like this. Make sure you don't have any other tasks running and see if it gets better with only Reaper doing a thing. Wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that some of your RAM is failing as well. Wouldn't set aside the idea that your Hard drive is reading/writing slow too. Maybe run a diagnostic on both of those.

Quick question:
"I often run Reaper just monitoring and don't hurry to hit record unless I just want to do a quick phase check. I can go weeks without hitting record, or saving any changes before I shut down."

What are you doing exactly? Just using Reaper to monitor live inputs? You aren't recording? Are you Monitoring through Input FX? Would help to have a little more details.
Last edited by Kniferide on Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Was Japmn.

New OST project: https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/flight-ost
https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/numberwitch
https://boneandbell.com/site/music.html

Bubber wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:36 pm Hi, is this where Reaper questions are going? I've posted this question in the Cockos forum, but so far, no solution.

I often run Reaper just monitoring and don't hurry to hit record unless I just want to do a quick phase check. I can go weeks without hitting record, or saving any changes before I shut down.

I have it set up in two cities, using two old Mac minis with OS updates shut off, and two of the same interface, a 16-track 24-bit Tascam US-1800. They have worked stably for me for years, each for as long as I've had them. Often I have the internet connection shut off, too, just to be sure. I'll turn it on occasionally to do Reaper updates. Both are running recent (probably both current) builds of Reaper, 64-bit for pre OS10.15.

Then today, my system in the other city, running more tracks, also just monitoring without having changed anything significant in weeks, started pulling the same shit.

A fm over yonder said if I'm running plugins never meant to be low latency, such as for mastering, that could be causing it. I believe I'm not; still, even if I were, why on earth suddenly now?

How to fix? Hit me.
I run almost this exact same set up, but on a single older Win10 laptop with 32GB of RAM and an i5 with the Tascam. Computer is set to never update, and I took it off the internet back in May and have not updated Reaper since then. I use it very similarly to you, I have very few plugins, and use the thing every other day at least. No issues for me yet. I am not sure of what version of Reaper I am on, but I can check that if you would like.
guitar in - weaklungband.bandcamp.com/

Owen wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:57 pm
Bubber wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:36 pm Hi, is this where Reaper questions are going? I've posted this question in the Cockos forum, but so far, no solution.

How to fix? Hit me.
I run almost this exact same set up, but on a single older Win10 laptop with 32GB of RAM and an i5 with the Tascam. Computer is set to never update, and I took it off the internet back in May and have not updated Reaper since then. I use it very similarly to you, I have very few plugins, and use the thing every other day at least. No issues for me yet. I am not sure of what version of Reaper I am on, but I can check that if you would like.
This makes me think Apple has somehow ruined compatibility with the Tascam units. Highly doubt it is a Reaper problem.
Was Japmn.

New OST project: https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/flight-ost
https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/numberwitch
https://boneandbell.com/site/music.html

Re: Small questions that don't fit anywhere

Hi, everybody,
Yes, neither OS has updated to make this weirdness suddenly happen. Just checked the one I've been using today and the OS is still from 2018. I don't know wtf is up with this foolishness.
I do have older versions of Reaper sitting zipped in my downloads folder, so I'll try to reinstall an earlier version like 6.40 and see if it resolves it. But, I don't believe this crap started happening right after new installs. At least, not on both of them, if so. If I recall, I believe it started happening here during me using a version that had previously been working just fine, so I turned on my wifi to get the new version and install it, in the hopes it'd resolve it. (It didn't.)
Still weird, still frustrating.

Owen wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:57 pm Computer is set to never update, and I took it off the internet back in May and have not updated Reaper since then.
This is the way. I'm personally running a 2009 Mac Mini with Snow Leopard using a Digi002R and Pro Tools 8LE. It's old as shit and still works perfectly since I disabled internet on it 6 years ago. I can easily record 8 simultaneous tracks without a hiccup. Somehow.
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/