Are the democrats gonna throw the election by keeping Biden in the hot seat?

Yes
Total votes: 11 (46%)
No
Total votes: 8 (33%)
Don't know
Total votes: 1 (4%)
A definite possibility
Total votes: 4 (17%)
Total votes: 24

Re: Are the democrats gonna throw the election by keeping Biden in the hot seat?

zorg wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:28 pmI made no comment about Ukrainian motivations, though I did crap on their famously corrupt government, which is a surprise to exactly no one. I am, as always, on the side of the dude who is being conscripted, and I have guilty feelings about that.
I was referring to the idea that those providing material support to Ukraine are "sending Ukrainians to die", which is nonsensical.

zorg wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:28 pmWell, because “backing the good guys” means using Ukranian citizens for canon fodder while sitting back and war profiteering.
Are those providing support for the country being invaded creating that invasion???

Anyway,
zorg wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:28 pm200 years of neutrality out the door
But as you rightly note, it has had a limited meaning. Keep in mind also that the 'neutrality' of Sweden is not codified the way it is with for example Austria, where it's in the constitution. It's more of a policy or a commitment, and therefore less strictly obligating and more stretchable.

As for NATO having "selfish" interests, seeing as there is no NATO without the member nations, I don't see how the interests of a member nation and that of the organization would ever be entirely distinct. I mean even if one doesn't like NATO, the possibility of meeting with some unpleasant surprise hiding in a membership which could not be anticipated, seems to me like the lesser of worries - i.e. the concrete, immediate consequences of a membership are for a prospective member capable of being clearly grasped. Less obvious would be what consequences this has for this country's relation to other non-NATO countries, or maybe what it means for the ability of non-NATO countries to assert themselves in relation to NATO (considering then the existence of the organization in general, as an entity in the world, and whether on this basis being a member is advisable or not). Even in those cases though, I wouldn't speak of a particular interest of NATO as separate from and aimed against that of its member nations.

In this case what bothers me more than a certain abandonment of symbolic neutrality is the corrupt compromises the Swedish state has already entered into. By request from Erdogan, as a condition of Swedish membership, several Kurdish individuals residing in Sweden have been extradited on charges of terrorism. To what extent this was something compelled by the membership, and to what extent it was down to the typical feeble indifference of the Swedish state, I don't know yet. It doesn't seem good for the intergrity of the organization - it doesn't make sense for a nominally liberal organization to condone this kind of ultimatum from a country whose own legal system is so severely compromised, and it doesn't send an encouraging message to future prospective members.
born to give

Re: Are the democrats gonna throw the election by keeping Biden in the hot seat?

dumbass wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:57 pm
ChudFusk wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:23 pm
dumbass wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:48 pm you're making assumptions, I'm looking at the facts
You aren’t citing any though.
Biden is supporting a genocide against Palestinians, that is a fact.
I agree, but if you're going to call out others for making assumptions while claiming you have facts, you should probably back that up with something.
fka Boombats, Lonesome Bulldog, and sambpot but NOT Cocend

ChudFusk wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 pm
ChudFusk wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:23 pm

You aren’t citing any though.
I agree, but if you're going to call out others for making assumptions while claiming you have facts, you should probably back that up with something.
not sure what isn't clear, I can speak slower if that helps...

dumbass wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:33 pm
ChudFusk wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 pm

not sure what isn't clear, I can speak slower if that helps...
I'm not disagreeing with you, but you're being childishly defensive and living up to your name.
fka Boombats, Lonesome Bulldog, and sambpot but NOT Cocend

Biden officials indefinitely postpone ban on menthol cigarettes amid election-year pushback
https://apnews.com/article/menthol-ban- ... 6c42d4c951

I think this might be a Chapelle show sketch. I like how completely open they are about putting retaining their public office over the public health. And the cannibals ate my uncle thing, great stuff. I'm surprised he felt comfortable losing the pivotal cannibal endorsement.