Total votes: 11 (19%)
1000 Hurts
Total votes: 9 (15%)
Excellent Italian Greyhound
Total votes: 6 (10%)
Dude Incredible
Total votes: 6 (10%)
Total votes: 59

Re: Favorite Shellac record (studio LPs)

chexmixbreath wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:10 pm Someone posted somewhere on the old board about seeing Shellac do "The End of Radio" and during the intro where Steve does the usual opening lyrical rounds of "Is this thing on?" / "Can you hear me now?" and some nerdboy in the crowd shouting affirmatively "YES" several times until realizing it's part of the song and then hanging his head low in shame. Cracks me up.
This is great, as is The End of Radio.
at war with bellends

ErickC wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:32 am seeing them live the day Michael Jackson died ("What's the difference between Neil Armstrong and Michael Jackson?" Steve asked. "Neil Armstrong walked on the moon and Michael Jackson's dead").
It was this or the other show that weekend (I don't even remember if I went to both of them and I forget the venue name too) Bob said Weird Al died of a fart attack.

I think AAP is their best record, but my favourite is Terraform, which finds them pushing at the edges of how a rock band operates and writes songs while still rockin'. Many great, clever bands released a 'bit-bored-of-rock' album around this time, but this is bolder effort than most, mostly by dint of sheer personality.

Terraform also marks an emotional shift: a bit less disgust / spite than before, and a more open, accepting-of-the-absurd energy that marks a certain maturity...

I love and have always loved 'Didn't we deserve...',

1000 Hurts

2001 or 2002. I had to have been 15 or 16 something. The very first time I heard it my 17 year old friend had replaced his car stereo with something he bought with a Sears credit card (?!) they gave him (?!!) when he told them he was joining the Air Force (?!?!?!). We were hanging out outside while he was installing it and when it was done, we got all in to hear it while he put in 1000 Hurts. I fucking hated it. I felt like I needed to hide, and it wasn’t just the lyrics - the whole thing seemed to be pulsating with menace. I was a Radiohead fan and I was scared.

I want to say that I was a fan by the end of the CD, but in reality I think it took a couple weeks to really be able to hang with it, and I started to be able to see the humanity poke through all the sharp edges. I was hooked after that. I should have been some dumb ass hick, and maybe I still am in some ways, but that record changed my damn life.

EIG, coloured by circumstances and excitement around its release. End of Radio is a favourite, though I prefer the Peel tribute version.

They’re all great and really quite different. That long Wire interview touches on how their playing style just naturally changed over time, and it’s bittersweet today to hear that progression: I bet the next one would’ve been fab.

A fanboy hope here that at some point any bits of pieces they recorded of the next batch are put out - I realise this would go against their usual practice, but I can’t help but want to hear it all.

Fuck, I absolutely adore that scratchy single with the 16-string “Pull the Cup” on it. That feels like it was thrown out as a treat, and it’s gorgeous.
Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!

sparky wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:40 amA fanboy hope here that at some point any bits of pieces they recorded of the next batch are put out - I realise this would go against their usual practice, but I can’t help but want to hear it all.
Maybe we'll get it in 20 years like the unfinished Brainiac demos we got recently and had no reason to ever believe would be released.