Re: What are you listening to right now?

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:03 am Shellac - To All Trains

What a send off. Lovely record.
Yep. Cheating here with a digital listen.

ummm.. SPOILER ALERTS?

-Opening track completely rips, the riff made me want to dance.
-Scrappers song is a highlight.
-Scabby the Rat, according to the last Vish interview, is a nod to Rob Warmowski (RIP), and I nearly jumped out of my seat when it started off like XTC's Helicopter, one of Rob's favorite bands. Incredible.
-I wish I could change the last 10 days very very much, but that last track is about as good of a way to go out as possible.
Music

penningtron wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:54 am
A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:03 am Shellac - To All Trains

What a send off. Lovely record.
Yep. Cheating here with a digital listen.

ummm.. SPOILER ALERTS?

-Opening track completely rips, the riff made me want to dance.
-Scrappers song is a highlight.
-Scabby the Rat, according to the last Vish interview, is a nod to Rob Warmowski (RIP), and I nearly jumped out of my seat when it started off like XTC's Helicopter, one of Rob's favorite bands. Incredible.
-I wish I could change the last 10 days very very much, but that last track is about as good of a way to go out as possible.
I haven’t finished the interview yet, but I almost cheered in the middle of a supermarket when I heard Rob’s name.

My first impressions are that it’s like a collection of short stories, quite a change from being a “vocals optional” band as Steve put it early in their life. I remember them telling me (just before Terraform was released) that they found it weird when people, including me, said they had changed a little between releases - I was comparing the EPs to AAP, to me back then a shift to a less noisy, more curt guitar sound (I was fixated on his guitar sound (still am)). We think all our songs are wildly different, said Bob.

This first couple of listens have reminded me of this as the talkiness of TAT makes me reflect how different all their records are, going against this impression of constancy I have of them.
Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!

sparky wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:10 am This first couple of listens have reminded me of this as the talkiness of TAT makes me reflect how different all their records are, going against this impression of constancy I have of them.
It makes me think of Dude Incredible as a very light hearted record in comparison (maybe a little too in-jokey for my tastes, admittedly). Makes sense coming out of the early Obama years, when things kind of seemed like they were getting better briefly. After Trumpism and the pandemic and so many deaths among peers and heroes it's understandable this album has some darker tones. The ending of Wednesday is pretty shocking, but I also thought.. "yeah.. that tracks."
Music