Fluffy Coffee?

this is how I do it (but the last time I did it, I was told it resembled a "red headed prostitute"...I blame the espresso machine). I'm sure Ben or JSP or SA will have some input...

-Coat the bottom of the pint glass with maple syrup; i wouldn't go higher than a 1/4 inch with the syrup. 1/2 inch if you really want to go nuts...

-Pour a glass of whole milk (2% works, but skim is for dickheads...if you can use organic, even better) and leave about an inch at the top.

-steam the milk via espresso machine (doye), often pulling the glass down to the head to create the 'fluff.' Do this until the side or the bottom of the glass feels warm.

-now add a double shot of espresso to the milk; NOTE: before making the espresso, be sure to sprinkle some cinnamon onto the coffee grounds.
Stephen Sowley
sowley@electrical.com
Capt. James T. Lunatic wrote:I Didn't Fight A Secret War In Nicaragua So You Could Walk These Streets Of Freedom Badmouthing Lady America, In Your Damn Mirrored Sunglasses

Fluffy Coffee?

Sowley wrote:this is how I do it (but the last time I did it, I was told it resembled a "red headed cocksucker"...I blame the espresso machine). I'm sure Ben or JSP or SA will have some input...

-Coat the bottom of the pint glass with maple syrup; i wouldn't go higher than a 1/4 inch with the syrup. 1/2 inch if you really want to go nuts...

-Pour a glass of whole milk (2% works, but skim is for dickheads...if you can use organic, even better) and leave about a third of the glass empty.

-steam the milk via espresso machine (doye), often pulling the glass down to the head to create the 'fluff.' Do this until the side or the bottom of the glass feels warm.

-now add a double shot of espresso to the milk; NOTE: before making the espresso, be sure to sprinkle some cinnamon onto the coffee grounds.

FYP otherwise spot on. Your red-headed cocksucker was having too much milk in there.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.

Fluffy Coffee?

It's steve's drink, so this is a slight stretch from the "original recipe" here, but here's here's my nitpicky, extra-detailed version/addendum (my additions in bold):

steve and Sowley wrote:
-Use a pint glass if you can help it. I always burn my hand when pouring the espresso any time I use a different kind of glass, and it really sucks.

- Also, don't skim on the syrup. Mrs. Butterworth's will not cut it. Usually we've got 100% Grade A, Medium Amber maple syrup on hand.

-Coat the bottom of the pint glass with syrup; between 1/4" and 1/2" for regular drinkers. Often times, I've observed new/novice Fluffy Coffee drinkers often prefer/request extra syrup, I don't know why. You'll know if you've poured too much.

-Pour a glass of whole milk (or any other milk upon request) and leave about a third of the glass empty. 2/3 full is optimal, but if you over-pour, absolutely no more than 3/4. The more you fill it, the less foam you'll have.

-steam the milk via espresso machine, until the milk is lukewarm. It will still heat up when you foam it, and you're less likely to water-down the drink (unless you want it extra-hot). Then, pull down very slowly, aiming the steam wand at the side of the glass. The wand should be just barely submerged in the milk, and it will make spitting noises for a little while. If you're getting sprayed in the face by stray milk, you pulled the steam wand out too far. I usually rotate the glass a little as I foam. Continue until the foam almost reaches the top of the glass.

-now add a double shot of espresso to the milk; cinnamon is optional, but usually sprinkled in with the espresso grind. NOTE ALSO: Pour your shot with purpose and conviction. otherwise it will dribble everywhere, and your fluffee coffee will taste of your own fear.

- Enjoy.
Jon San Paolo

Fluffy Coffee?

This sounds delicious. But let me ask a fairly to moderately dumb question:

You heat up the milk IN THE PINT GLASS?

The issue is, of course, hot exploding glass.

which now is my new band name.

thanks,
g
But I digress. Please continue with the squirrel circuit semantic debate.

Fluffy Coffee?

Yeah, it's safe to use pint glasses. Other glasses I'm not sure about, though. Never had a pint glass explode or break or crack on me yet.

We'll buy syrup any-old-where. Jewel and Dominicks have it, so does Costco. There's usually four or five brands/sizes to choose from. Doesn't really matter which, just as long as it's more natural than pancake syrup.
Jon San Paolo