Seen any good movies lately?

Redline wrote:The SwimmerIf you explain The Swimmer to someone, they go Wow, that's lame, but then they watch it and their brains explode.You are absolutely right. I tried today. There were blank faces. Is it about swimming? was as good as it got.
"Whenever the words 'art' and 'rock' have come together, I make my excuses and leave" - John Peel, 2004

ldopa\_chicago wrote:I went to see Yorgos Lanthimos' The Favourite last week and I think it's my favorite of his! Pretty hilarious, well-shot, well acted. I will probably watch it again.Thank you for the recommendation. I saw it tonight and I'm ecstatic.Probably the best costume drama I've ever seen, apart from Barry Lyndon. Olivia Colman deserves all the awards in the world for her performance. So does Rachel Weisz, I never realized how good an actress she is. And the director, the director of photography, the costume designer, the interior designer, basically everyone.The movie is filled with vitriolic humour, and in that sense it reminded me of French costume drama "Ridicule", by Patrice Leconte, also a very good movie, but The Favourite is on another level.

I saw a restoration of Jacques Rivette's The Nun at Film Forum a couple of weeks ago and it was just fucking fantastic. I was only familiar with it by name going in and came out completely overwhelmed. A scandal when it was released, it has a lot to say about the Catholic Church as well as making parallels to late-60s France (I was a bit surprised this was a pre-1968 film) but it's also a timeless meditation on human liberation in general. For those of you in Chicago, I believe it is still playing at the Gene Siskel Film Center.Some other things I've seen recently that I've liked:Cold War. A deeply romantic, deeply horny, beautifully shot, elliptical little film. Both leads are excellent.Burning and The Wild Pear Tree are quite different but might make a good double feature. They feature young male protagonists who are aspiring authors, both of whom are trying to distinguish themselves from their difficult fathers.