Tech Podcasts

Dr Tony Balls wrote:I like this Skip SimI'm starting to hate this guy. He just said "Except for Marshalls, English amps are quirky" and that they are "hard to work on". What a fuckin dope.To be fair, I think people were asking him about Selmers or weird kind of off-brand amps that aren t common around here. It s easy to take for granted being younger and relatively hip to exotic gear that a lot of the old guys just never saw much of. Try taking an aluminum guitar to a random guitar store in TX for a setup and see what they have to say!I don t really disagree with you though, I m just used to like, my dad side-eyeing the more esoteric stuff when I first bring it over!
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Tech Podcasts

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:Dr Tony Balls wrote:I like this Skip SimI'm starting to hate this guy. He just said "Except for Marshalls, English amps are quirky" and that they are "hard to work on". What a fuckin dope.To be fair, I think people were asking him about Selmers or weird kind of off-brand amps that aren t common around here. It s easy to take for granted being younger and relatively hip to exotic gear that a lot of the old guys just never saw much of. Try taking an aluminum guitar to a random guitar store in TX for a setup and see what they have to say!I don t really disagree with you though, I m just used to like, my dad side-eyeing the more esoteric stuff when I first bring it over!The amps in question were a WEM Musette and Dominator, which are made fine and arent really off brand, but regardless he didnt know about the amps the guy was talking about and instead of just saying that or saying he cant comment because he's unfamiliar he offered up a ridiculous claim about all non-Marshall English amps. You're telling me Hiwatts, Voxes, Laneys, & Oranges are "quirky"? Its just disinformation. I get that most guitar stores wouldnt know what to do with an aluminum guitar, but thats fine if they just admit it. The guy is a niche guy FOR SURE. He likes small American amps, especially Fender, and knows a lot about those. He cant fathom why anyone would need an amp as loud as 40 watts. He's limited. But instead of just admitting that he's got a limited sphere of expertise, he offers his opinions up as truths which is lame. When someone asks about repair on a Super Reverb you answer the question if you have an answer, you dont tell them its too loud and they need to get rid of it.

Tech Podcasts

yard barf wrote:Dr Tony Balls wrote: The guy is a niche guy FOR SURE. He likes small American amps, especially Fender, and knows a lot about those. He cant fathom why anyone would need an amp as loud as 40 watts. He's limited. But instead of just admitting that he's got a limited sphere of expertise, he offers his opinions up as truths which is lame. When someone asks about repair on a Super Reverb you answer the question if you have an answer, you dont tell them its too loud and they need to get rid of it.This is exactly how I feel about the guy, and I think he's really great in a lot of ways, but I get annoyed at the way he talk out of his ass sometimes. That British amps comment mystified me when he said it. I also dislike how he doesn't go into details because he thinks it would bore the listeners. It's a vintage amps podcast for fuck's sake, what is it for, if not the details?Let alone that the guy is working on the assumption that he actually has listeners.

Tech Podcasts

Dr Tony Balls wrote: The guy is a niche guy FOR SURE. He likes small American amps, especially Fender, and knows a lot about those. He cant fathom why anyone would need an amp as loud as 40 watts. He's limited. But instead of just admitting that he's got a limited sphere of expertise, he offers his opinions up as truths which is lame. When someone asks about repair on a Super Reverb you answer the question if you have an answer, you dont tell them its too loud and they need to get rid of it.This is exactly how I feel about the guy, and I think he's really great in a lot of ways, but I get annoyed at the way he talk out of his ass sometimes. That British amps comment mystified me when he said it. I also dislike how he doesn't go into details because he thinks it would bore the listeners. It's a vintage amps podcast for fuck's sake, what is it for, if not the details?