Re: Good, lesser known horror movies

Mickey242 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:03 pm To point of the thread I guess it isn't lees known.
The old forum used to have a thread that was originally used to share more abrasive and/or riskier shoegaze but evolved into a thread where one would discuss Moose along with Goslings.

I am not the originator of this thread but don't think FM mrcancelled would mind talk of horror cinema in general here. I certainly know I'm given to sharing mainstream fare.

Looking forward to the weekend with Immaculate and Late Night with the Devil.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

rsmurphy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:16 pm
Mickey242 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:03 pm To point of the thread I guess it isn't lees known.
The old forum used to have a thread that was originally used to share more abrasive and/or riskier shoegaze but evolved into a thread where one would discuss Moose along with Goslings.

I am not the originator of this thread but don't think FM mrcancelled would mind talk of horror cinema in general here. I certainly know I'm given to sharing mainstream fare.

Looking forward to the weekend with Immaculate and Late Night with the Devil.
Ok, I thought of one that fits. The City of the Dead with Christopher Lee.
Great film. A lot of fog.
"There's a felling I get when I look to the west"
"When the meaningful words. When they cease to function. When there's nothing to say."

Saw Late Night with the Devil and it wasn't nearly as scary as I needed it to be. Like, it'd get right to the edge of scary then cease to jump over it. It doesn't take much to frighten me. I like to think that it does, but, no, I go into movies with defense shields down praying to lose my shit.

rsmurphy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:42 pm Saw Late Night with the Devil and it wasn't nearly as scary as I needed it to be. Like, it'd get right to the edge of scary then cease to jump over it. It doesn't take much to frighten me. I like to think that it does, but, no, I go into movies with defense shields down praying to lose my shit.
I like the sound of this. How does it compare to Ghostwatch?

I just saw Late Night with the Devil too. They didn't quite stick the landing, and there was some unsatisfying misdirection thrown in, but overall it was highly, highly entertaining. We loved it.
They really nailed the look and feel, and the intro sequence perfectly set the mood so that I was fully committed by the time the show started.

Part of my joy is also seeing David Dastmalchian finally get a lead part. He's a brilliant character actor and he absorbed all of those late night guys in such a way that his performance is in itself quite entertaining. Really impressed with the way his leading man chops came out.

pldms wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:54 am
rsmurphy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:42 pm Saw Late Night with the Devil and it wasn't nearly as scary as I needed it to be. Like, it'd get right to the edge of scary then cease to jump over it. It doesn't take much to frighten me. I like to think that it does, but, no, I go into movies with defense shields down praying to lose my shit.
I like the sound of this. How does it compare to Ghostwatch?
I'm glad you asked!

Just watched Ghostwatch for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It didn't match what I had building in my head for so long, but it was scarier than Late Night with the Devil by a damn sight.

rsmurphy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:43 pm Just watched Ghostwatch for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It didn't match what I had building in my head for so long, but it was scarier than Late Night with the Devil by a damn sight.
Just watched Late Night with the Devil and the similarity is very superficial. Late Night with the Devil throws a lot of things at the screen, but is more of a fun - and funny - rollercoaster. I agree it's not scary. It reminded me a little of those Peter Strickland films, especially Beberian Sound Studio, which are highly stylised, horror-inflected, quietly comedic, but also psychedelic.

Nice to see David Dastmalchian take centre stage, too.

Kind of a pleasant surprise that Late Night With The Devil wound up being a fairly decent drama that they are selling as a horror film.

I don't think there was one member of the cast whose performance felt like a letdown. Just that quick bit of "We Have A SYFY Network Budget..." in that one spot.

Also appreciated the Svengoolie shout out that they stuck in there really quick.