Re: Streaming Netflix/Hulu/etc. - what's good lately?

Open question to the forum: do YouTube channels fall in the scope of this thread, or do they deserve their own thread? (sorry if answer is obvious) I see six active threads about individual YouTube channels, but not a general one dedicated to all of YouTube, so maybe a new thread is needed...

Reason: I've been using the treadmill 30-60 minutes a day lately and to keep my interest I watch YouTube videos while doing so. I feel like I've now exhausted all of my favorite YouTube channels and suggestions could be helpful. Topics of interest include music (duh), travel and transportation, engineering, and birds. Thank you!!
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

jfv wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:15 am Open question to the forum: do YouTube channels fall in the scope of this thread, or do they deserve their own thread? (sorry if answer is obvious) I see six active threads about individual YouTube channels, but not a general one dedicated to all of YouTube, so maybe a new thread is needed...

Reason: I've been using the treadmill 30-60 minutes a day lately and to keep my interest I watch YouTube videos while doing so. I feel like I've now exhausted all of my favorite YouTube channels and suggestions could be helpful. Topics of interest include music (duh), travel and transportation, engineering, and birds. Thank you!!
I think YouTube falls under "etc."
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

jfv wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:15 am Open question to the forum: do YouTube channels fall in the scope of this thread, or do they deserve their own thread? (sorry if answer is obvious) I see six active threads about individual YouTube channels, but not a general one dedicated to all of YouTube, so maybe a new thread is needed...

I was actually looking for a general prosperous youtube thread and/or a thread about everyone's favorite channels, there's definitely tons of fantastic content there but it's not that easy to filter the crap out. So definitely needed I'd say.

I starting watching Beef around the time it came out and finished it a few weeks later. It’s not perfect, but I walked away from it thinking that it was more instrumental than most shows/movies in telling us things about ourselves, in a way that was—in a refreshing turn—less trollish than collectively self-implicating.

Don’t watch many shows, but feel like Better Call Saul should’ve gotten some love the other night too. Not that awards shows/ceremonies/accolades should be taken that seriously; in the world of music, they’re almost meaningless!!
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

the court jester

oh great another superhero movie with unrealistic body standards.

i probably don't need 2 hours of this, but pauly shore is sincerely rocking it here. color me surprised.

(funny decision to make the ellen show look like a david lynch set.)

spoiler alert:
richard simmons wrote:Hi Everybody! You may have heard they may be doing a movie about me with Pauly Shore. I have never given my permission for this movie. So don’t believe everything you read. I no longer have a manager, and I no longer have a publicist. I just try to live a quiet life and be peaceful. Thank you for all your love and support.

Nico Adie wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:17 pm
penningtron wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:01 pm
penningtron wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:28 am Will probably have to sign up for some free trial to watch Nathan Fielder's new show 'The Curse', anyone seen it yet?

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/the-cu ... 235786715/
It's a tough one: lots of detestable characters and cringiness with little humorous payoff. Will proceed though..
Really, really enjoying The Curse. Uncomfortable to watch in so many ways.
Just finished it a few days ago. I grew to appreciate it for the most part, but kind of hated the ending. Felt like tacked on magical realism, though the shots of Fielder walking on the ceiling were technically impressive.
Music

penningtron wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:25 am
Nico Adie wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:17 pm
penningtron wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:01 pm

It's a tough one: lots of detestable characters and cringiness with little humorous payoff. Will proceed though..
Really, really enjoying The Curse. Uncomfortable to watch in so many ways.
Just finished it a few days ago. I grew to appreciate it for the most part, but kind of hated the ending. Felt like tacked on magical realism, though the shots of Fielder walking on the ceiling were technically impressive.
I've started on it and on ep. 3 so far...really enjoying it so far. Obviously a continuation of both Fielder and the Salfdies' aesthetic, but what I really like is the horror/psychological thriller angle (especially the music). There is also an obvious Todd Solondz influence going on too I think. Cara the indigenous art grifter might be my favourite character so far.
Canuck fellow traveller. Guitarist/loudmouth in https://phenolhouse.bandcamp.com/ and https://heatsheet.bandcamp.com/

I've been watching Adventure Time: Fionna and Cake on Max. This is quirky animation aimed at teens and adults. If you liked Adventure Time you'll love this. If you didn't exactly love AT you might still really like this. It plays up the absurd, dark and occasionally existential elements of AT while still being zany fantasy.

It's interesting to me how a series like this and the animated Spiderman movies (Spiderverse) make the whole multiverse thing a playground for excitement and plot possibilities while the Marvel Cinematic Universe has turned the multiverse into some kind of limiting chore that makes their story telling feel oddly constrained and almost parenthetical.