Re: Small questions that don't fit anywhere

I'm totally not trying to put features down. I know I kind of sound like a dick saying stuff like "no saving settings, no computer connectivity" or whatever, but I know the way I work and I know what feeds that and what creates unnecessary barriers. I do not have experience creating music on a computer or with software or a digital interface. I'm tactile when it comes to playing an instrument and it's all about the physical interaction for me. Learning how to use a synth is going to be a completely new thing and I didn't want to sabotage myself with the doubly new thing of having to learn and navigate software as part of playing the instrument. I'm excited. And, as always, I'm so glad I consulted the PRF because I ended up getting exactly what I was looking for at half of what I expected to spend.
Radio show https://www.wmse.org/program/the-tom-wa ... xperience/
My band https://redstuff.bandcamp.com/
Solo project https://tomwanderer.bandcamp.com/

Tom Wanderer wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:56 pm I'm totally not trying to put features down. I know I kind of sound like a dick saying stuff like "no saving settings, no computer connectivity" or whatever, but I know the way I work and I know what feeds that and what creates unnecessary barriers. I do not have experience creating music on a computer or with software or a digital interface.
Oh no, I get it! I just meant it's totally possible to sit down with these synths and dig in without the need to ever touch a computer. There is definitely gear out there that requires you to download sounds or install its own app interface or whatever. I'm a fairly technical person and I've never hooked up my Korg digital outs ever.
Music

Got a couple of old EV 665 and 658L mics in for cheap and made sure they worked, comparing them to another 635a and a 421. I didn’t have a condenser or ribbon out so I didn’t compare them to one, but I will at some point.

They all sound different and have cool textures, but aside from the omni getting more room, the differences aren’t night and day, and aren’t really great or bad either way.

That seems to be the case w/ any type of mic I sing into, incl. ones that cost 10x as much. Unless I’m battling gain structure or getting popping or bad nasal resonances, I’m learning to pretty much roll with whatever’s in front of me as I get used to recording.

Is this just how it works after a while? Just put something in the right spot and go, change it when there’s a problem, and try not to kick yourself later? I definitely dislike my voice on certain mics but I also keep waiting to fall in love or react to the plain sound of one and it’s not really happening.

I don’t mean that in a negative way, but the stuff I like pretty much all driven by the performance and song and turns out to be less and less about the sound from the mic itself. Just wondering if I’m not listening to the right stuff.

llllllllllllllllllll wrote: Got a couple of old EV 665 and 658L mics in for cheap and made sure they worked, comparing them to another 635a and a 421. I didn’t have a condenser or ribbon out so I didn’t compare them to one, but I will at some point.

They all sound different and have cool textures, but aside from the omni getting more room, the differences aren’t night and day, and aren’t really great or bad either way.

That seems to be the case w/ any type of mic I sing into, incl. ones that cost 10x as much. Unless I’m battling gain structure or getting popping or bad nasal resonances, I’m learning to pretty much roll with whatever’s in front of me as I get used to recording.

Is this just how it works after a while? Just put something in the right spot and go, change it when there’s a problem, and try not to kick yourself later? I definitely dislike my voice on certain mics but I also keep waiting to fall in love or react to the plain sound of one and it’s not really happening.

I don’t mean that in a negative way, but the stuff I like pretty much all driven by the performance and song and turns out to be less and less about the sound from the mic itself. Just wondering if I’m not listening to the right stuff.
You're getting it. Performance and delivery have always been 10-20x more important than the mediums used to capture it.

I had a vocal take to do in days gone by that required me singing and decent pitch. I ended up getting all fussed over getting the pitch perfect & was real proud of myself thinking "maybe I CAN sing" only to listen after the reels age overnight that the take ended up sounding completely fucking flat w/ zero life. Would not have mattered if I used my iphone or a $5k Neuman.

This section of the forum has really gotten gear-focused but making music at its core isn't about the gear and never has been. Pick the mic that works for you in most situations out of what you have and roll tape w/ it. Tone-questing can be a terrible, terrible state to be in and very hard to break one's self out of.