Re: Catch-all travel thread

I assume that since you’re driving him back to Fargo that you’ve seen the Badlands already? If not, then definitely visit the Badlands. There are a couple shorter “hikes” that are on boardwalks that everyone could handle, and the 7-year-old could definitely handle hikes on other terrain. And if you cant stop at all, I’d recommend even just the drive through the park.

uglysound wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:32 am Places to see between A and B, and/or general vacation/road trip advice...

Tomorrow my mother and I are driving to the East Bay to pick up my son and drive him back to Fargo. We have a loose plan to hit Redwood National park, Yellowstone, and maybe the Black Hills on the way back to ND. Anything in between that is a must-see? My mother is 71 and my son is almost 7, so long hikes are not really an option.
If you're driving up 101 into the Redwoods (I assume you are from your description), find some swimming/wading areas along the Eel River north of Garberville, CA. It's really pleasant. Getting some picnic food in one of the fancy grocery stores in San Rafael or Santa Rosa beforehand is a good idea. Patrick's Point SP on the coast north of Arcata has lots of amazing views of the ocean near parking plus a selection of manageable trails for those inclined. The community forest in Arcata has some nice and not too strenuous walks. If you're cutting up through Oregon after that, Crater Lake is absolutely worth a visit.

lotharsandwich wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:05 pm
uglysound wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:32 am Places to see between A and B, and/or general vacation/road trip advice...

Tomorrow my mother and I are driving to the East Bay to pick up my son and drive him back to Fargo. We have a loose plan to hit Redwood National park, Yellowstone, and maybe the Black Hills on the way back to ND. Anything in between that is a must-see? My mother is 71 and my son is almost 7, so long hikes are not really an option.
If you're driving up 101 into the Redwoods (I assume you are from your description), find some swimming/wading areas along the Eel River north of Garberville, CA. It's really pleasant. Getting some picnic food in one of the fancy grocery stores in San Rafael or Santa Rosa beforehand is a good idea. Patrick's Point SP on the coast north of Arcata has lots of amazing views of the ocean near parking plus a selection of manageable trails for those inclined. The community forest in Arcata has some nice and not too strenuous walks. If you're cutting up through Oregon after that, Crater Lake is absolutely worth a visit.

2nded. Just returned a couple hours ago from camping and exploring Humboldt Redwoods Park. Did a couple quick loops (Big Trees Area, Rockefeller Loop) with the kids in the Rockefeller area of the park. The Eel is pretty low right now but there is are great quick stop river spots along 101. Check out Benbow SRA for a swim, that is where we camped. Surprisingly good food at the Pineapple Express food truck in Garberville.
New Shit:
https://lamekites.bandcamp.com/album/less-one
Discogs:
https://www.discogs.com/seller/ryanzepaltas/profile

jason from volo wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:29 pm
mrcancelled wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:24 pm Any recommendations for things to do in Charleston, SC? Going out there next week for a wedding, have a couple of days to kill.
Also spent a day at Folly Beach. A not fully commercialized, a little bit rustic, town on the beach. Kinda had an arty/surfer vibe. At least it did 10 years or so ago.
Oh nice--the wedding is actually on Folly Beach! That sounds cool. I went to Charleston as a kid but the only thing I remember was the architecture being pretty neat.
jason from volo wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:29 pmIt goes without saying that you should keep an eye on the forecasts this time of year for tropical disturbances.
Good call, I haven't even checked the weather yet but I'll take a look.

Many people recommended that we visit one of the famous plantations, which I found really off putting, honestly. The slave cabins and the huge house, etc. I don’t have a problem with other people wanting to study and understand these things, but there was something uncomfortably voyeuristic about the whole thing. We bugged out pretty quick.

We did a helicopter ride around the bay that was really cool but expensive - it was right next to the patriots point museum, which I also enjoyed. It goes without saying that the food is tremendous. Standouts for us were a place called FIG and casual place called Toast. The open market was also pretty cool for Knick knack shopping and that kind of thing.

mrcancelled wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:24 pm Any recommendations for things to do in Charleston, SC? Going out there next week for a wedding, have a couple of days to kill.
No recommendations, but had a fantastic session there on my only visit. Ended up coming around in the back of a car absolutely full of lavender, on the way to a wedding for someone who was behind the 'People of Walmart' website, or so I was told. Wish I could remember the name of the place I had hit the top shelf of beforehand, was a cracking bar. Enjoy.
at war with bellends

Charleston has a great dining scene. I used to work for a place that had its home office there, so I'd try and have a decent meal whenever I visited. Fleet Landing, Mccradys, The Ordinary are all really good and there are like 4 other places I can't recall right now. Really wanted to go to FIG and Husk but reservations always required a little more lead time than I had.

That whole southern peninsula is a really nice place to walk around, especially in the evening. Mt Pleasant area seems to have more stuff going on these days too.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

twelvepoint wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:50 am Charleston has a great dining scene. I used to work for a place that had its home office there, so I'd try and have a decent meal whenever I visited. Fleet Landing, Mccradys, The Ordinary are all really good and there are like 4 other places I can't recall right now. Really wanted to go to FIG and Husk but reservations always required a little more lead time than I had.

That whole southern peninsula is a really nice place to walk around, especially in the evening. Mt Pleasant area seems to have more stuff going on these days too.
Yeah, we also had husk on our list and couldn’t get in. Fig was truly memorable, though - braised short ribs over house ground grits…..the dessert was a chocolate soufflé that would normally not tempt me, but goddam it was outta sight.