Total votes: 10 (23%)
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (1973)
Total votes: 3 (7%)
Sabotage (1975)
Total votes: 3 (7%)
Total votes: 43

Re: Favorite Sabbath record

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

The title track and "Killing Yourself To Live" are high-water marks for them; "A National Acrobat" isn't far behind.

"Sabbra Cadabra" has that deep groove with Rick Wakeman on piano. It's like they were all sitting around the castle hopped up on Newcastles and blow listening to a Meters album and said oi, we can try somefin' loik that. I'm still surprised no hip-hop group ever sampled it - or the first two cuts, for that matter.

Everyone would love "Who Are You" if Tony had overdubbed some heavy C#-standard guitars on it. "Looking For Today" has a great melody AND that beautiful downward-spiraling chorus which kicks in at 2:36. "Spiral Architect" is so gorgeous I can even forgive the self-fellating burst of overdubbed applause at the end. And "gorgeous" isn't an adjective I tend to apply to this band.

"Fluff" is fluff. And really short.

The first six albums are all stone classics, but this is the one I end up returning to the most.

"Vol. 4" is my favourite, as it catches them in the transitional phase between the gonzoid riffmeisters of old and the more melodic - albeit still lyrically blunt - outfit that followed.

"Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" is my least favourite, although the title track, "Killing Yourself to Live" and "Spiral Architect" are fine and dandy. I would say "Rick Wakeman on keyboards? Pah!" were it not for the fact that he also plays on parts of "Sabotage", which I rate higher than its predecessor.
I hate music, it's got too many notes.

jaylimmo wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:08 pm Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

The title track and "Killing Yourself To Live" are high-water marks for them; "A National Acrobat" isn't far behind.

"Sabbra Cadabra" has that deep groove with Rick Wakeman on piano. It's like they were all sitting around the castle hopped up on Newcastles and blow listening to a Meters album and said oi, we can try somefin' loik that. I'm still surprised no hip-hop group ever sampled it - or the first two cuts, for that matter.

Everyone would love "Who Are You" if Tony had overdubbed some heavy C#-standard guitars on it. "Looking For Today" has a great melody AND that beautiful downward-spiraling chorus which kicks in at 2:36. "Spiral Architect" is so gorgeous I can even forgive the self-fellating burst of overdubbed applause at the end. And "gorgeous" isn't an adjective I tend to apply to this band.

"Fluff" is fluff. And really short.

The first six albums are all stone classics, but this is the one I end up returning to the most.
This this this.
I prefer "nitwit"

I love 'em all but Sabotage gets the nod. There's something in the sound of that record that makes it unique. Maybe it's the way Hole In The Sky cuts off dead, or the unexpected acoustic half of Symptom Of The Universe, or the way the riff in Megalomania keeps coming back drenched in more flange, or Ozzy's "SUCK MEEEAAAGH,"
or the completely over the top orchestra and choir in Supertzar, or the way the terribly sad harpsichord sections in The Writ contrast with Ozzy screeching at the top of his range ...

It's the culmination of everything they had been striving for. Maybe it's too much of whatever but I love it still. And Ozzy's robe and platform boots outfit on the cover looks cool as shit.
https://thegemshow.bandcamp.com/album/a-mountain-2
https://spitegeist.bandcamp.com/
https://wandajunes.bandcamp.com/

That Paris footage is excellent.

I love all these records, but something about Vol 4 gets me every time. "Muddy yet crisp as hell" is a poor layman's description of the sound on this album, but it somehow fits. Master is the heaviest Sabbath album for sure, with imho Geezer's strongest bass playing.