Nice

My friend Thomas and I have been working silently on our long-term on-and-off-now-always-on band, Nice.

We have 12 songs. Working on recording them in earnest. The last two years have been difficult, with the pandemic, losing two drummers and a baby on the way. It's been a long, though happy slog. The two of us have been pretty active, regardless. We almost had a coming out thing at a PRF BBQ the year the pandemic happened. I hope to have our first official album, The Return, out sometime next year. I don't know about doing shows (that's a whole other story), but I'm happy to have an earnest music project regardless of the output.

We have some practice recordings made on our phones when noise&light was playing with us on drums.

https://thisbandisnice.bandcamp.com

I haven't played a bass since Fake Limbs. Since our reincarnation back in 2018, I started playing guitar and Thomas started playing bass for the first time in earnest for both of us respectively. We've come along way! I remember barely able to play my own songs, but damned if I didn't try!

I think the hardest year was 2019, when the two of us were trying to continue on practicing without a drummer. We wrote more material and fleshed out older stuff. When I finally had the space for doing music at home, we moved out of the practice space. We tried regular practices in my home, but it ended up being too loud, even if we were turned down significantly. Playing drums? Out of the question. For those of you who lurk the Tech Room, you probably have seen me with a bunch of posts about this: I had to rethink what practice was. I liquidated most of my music equipment (anything not really being used anymore) and built a home studio, with direct inputs into a multichannel board which then pumped out into whatever... a computer, a headphone amp, etc... "Practice" is now music night, where we focus on one thing: recording something, writing something, or producing something. The new vision is the two of us being the main songwriters and producers, recording in my home studio, having friends come in to fill in on songs and just having a good time making music together. This whole new way of making music has been a fresh breath of air, and I like the idea of creating more than performing these days anyway.

Re: Nice

As things change in life, we adjust... After having a baby and moving the music into my house, we had to consider what is the future of music is for Nice (and ourselves, really). We're getting older and have other priorities than trying to hustle shows on the weekend. We to keep going as Nice and specifically the two of us together (me and my buddy Thomas) because we work so well together.

As far as the material we've written before the pandemic, it's still there ready to be recorded. I built out a studio in my house that for the most part is very quiet, to say the least. That being said, I hadn't really practiced in over 6 months and my partner had been fine tuning a rather large book of covers of his favorite songs from the 70s.

We started getting back into the swing of things since the kid was born, but as a band, we have been considering all of our life changes: getting older, keeping jobs, supporting families and raising kids, and what making music means to us. In the end, that is really it: making music is important. So, we didn't want to be tied down to the simplistic idea of weekly band practices and show hustling, which we are so very well used to. Instead, we want to utilize this studio and just make music, any kind in any way, under the moniker of Nice.

While we've got a whole album's worth of material that needs to be practiced for recording, we've recently shifted focus to doing these covers: Thomas will perform a rendition on acoustic guitar with vocals. I will record and produce it. I have all kinds of ideas, but I wanted to share where this is headed.

The concept is pretty simple: acoustic covers of rock songs from the 70s. We've got about 40 practiced, and my intention to record them all in a take or two, then as a whole take maybe the best 10-12. So far so good, we recorded 3 and one song was solid. Going further, I'd like to add some additional--albeit sparse--instruments and soundscapes. Here's just a raw take to share. Hope you enjoy.

cakes wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:31 pm My friend Thomas and I have been working silently on our long-term on-and-off-now-always-on band, Nice.

We have 12 songs. Working on recording them in earnest. The last two years have been difficult, with the pandemic, losing two drummers and a baby on the way. It's been a long, though happy slog. The two of us have been pretty active, regardless. We almost had a coming out thing at a PRF BBQ the year the pandemic happened. I hope to have our first official album, The Return, out sometime next year. I don't know about doing shows (that's a whole other story), but I'm happy to have an earnest music project regardless of the output.

We have some practice recordings made on our phones when noise&light was playing with us on drums.

https://thisbandisnice.bandcamp.com

I haven't played a bass since Fake Limbs. Since our reincarnation back in 2018, I started playing guitar and Thomas started playing bass for the first time in earnest for both of us respectively. We've come along way! I remember barely able to play my own songs, but damned if I didn't try!

I think the hardest year was 2019, when the two of us were trying to continue on practicing without a drummer. We wrote more material and fleshed out older stuff. When I finally had the space for doing music at home, we moved out of the practice space. We tried regular practices in my home, but it ended up being too loud, even if we were turned down significantly. Playing drums? Out of the question. For those of you who lurk the Tech Room, you probably have seen me with a bunch of posts about this: I had to rethink what practice was. I liquidated most of my music equipment (anything not really being used anymore) and built a home studio, with direct inputs into a multichannel board which then pumped out into whatever... a computer, a headphone amp, etc... "Practice" is now music night, where we focus on one thing: recording something, writing something, or producing something. The new vision is the two of us being the main songwriters and producers, recording in my home studio, having friends come in to fill in on songs and just having a good time making music together. This whole new way of making music has been a fresh breath of air, and I like the idea of creating more than performing these days anyway.
Wait...what?! I know that I have been messed-up busy since towards the end of last year - but cannot believe I missed this. am listening to the wavs as I write this. The production is really, really good. I love the LCR mix and the use of negative space. I can feel the sounds breathing together. Record the new stuff! Don't overthink it - just record it like you did the practice sessions here.
"lol, listen to op 'music' and you'll understand"....

https://sebastiansequoiah-grayson.bandcamp.com/
https://oblier.bandcamp.com/releases
https://youtube.com/user/sebbityseb

seby wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:56 am My friend Thomas and I have been working
Wait...what?! I know that I have been messed-up busy since towards the end of last year - but cannot believe I missed this. am listening to the wavs as I write this. The production is really, really good. I love the LCR mix and the use of negative space. I can feel the sounds breathing together. Record the new stuff! Don't overthink it - just record it like you did the practice sessions here.
We can do much better than the practice recordings. Those were literally just two iPhones pointing at the band and then vocal overdubs with an iPhone, though the band recording also has vocals (kinda sounds like there's two of us singing). The performances are pretty good, even if they are imperfect.

I have a bunch of our original songs partially recorded. Some are just trying to learn the studio setup, some are just trying out an idea, others are worthy takes, but missing drums. I could post some if you're interested.

cakes wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:56 pm
seby wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:56 am My friend Thomas and I have been working
We can do much better than the practice recordings. Those were literally just two iPhones pointing at the band and then vocal overdubs with an iPhone, though the band recording also has vocals (kinda sounds like there's two of us singing). The performances are pretty good, even if they are imperfect.

I have a bunch of our original songs partially recorded. Some are just trying to learn the studio setup, some are just trying out an idea, others are worthy takes, but missing drums. I could post some if you're interested.
iPhone?! For real?! It sounds super good. Well far out : ) post some sketches for sure - I would love to listen
"lol, listen to op 'music' and you'll understand"....

https://sebastiansequoiah-grayson.bandcamp.com/
https://oblier.bandcamp.com/releases
https://youtube.com/user/sebbityseb