Re: Thread for Contemporary Jazz/Avant Garde/'Free' Music Recommendations

A couple more Bandcamp picks from the past year or so and then I will stop the spammage.

I got to play and tour with Michael in some projects and he has been one of my favorite drummers for ages. Richard Barrett's electronics are nice and agile here:

I liked the following for the playing and the instrumentation, especially the marimba playing, which is rarely so good (read: non-cheesy) in this context:

Nice archival release from Ignaz Schick (check out all the stuff he's released on BC over the past 18 months or so), this one with Marcel Türkowsky doing really rad stuff on tapes:

Lastly, drummer Lukas Koenig doing some unique, noisy live percussion through electronics with a minimal set-up:

https://opaltapes.com/album/buffering-synapsis

Re: Thread for Contemporary Jazz/Avant Garde/'Free' Music Recommendations

penningtron wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:07 pm
jimmy spako wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:30 pm Will Guthrie rules, this record is a solid collab:

I've been looking for more stuff along these lines. I realize that's not a pure solo record, but it's so hard finding (and making) drum/percussion/electronics stuff that amounts to more than the sum of its parts.
For sure. His solo collage records People Pleaser I & II are great too...

Here's another really sweet rare archival reissue record from earlier this year, special vibe etc:

Since it's ECM you can't find it on YouTube, but I have been putting the little dude to bed every night with an old cassette dub of Don Cherry and Ed Blackwell's El Corazon. Such a beautiful, timeless record.