Band: The Replacements

CRAP
Total votes: 14 (26%)
NOT CRAP
Total votes: 40 (74%)
Total votes: 54

Band: The Replacements Band: The Replacements

I went through their albums chronoligically up to Tim, and I've decided I really like this band. Several caveats: something was off-putting about Let It Be my first time listening to it until I realized it would be vastly improved if it didn't start off with "I Will Dare". Or better yet if they got rid of it entirely. That song blows, and it soured the whole album for me from the beginning. And I lost interest halfway through Tim. Someday I might be interested in that album and their later stuff, but so far everything post Let It Be sounds like the theme songs from Singles and I don't care to wade through any of it.

Band: The Replacements Band: The Replacements

jimmy two hands wrote:I went through their albums chronoligically up to Tim, and I've decided I really like this band. Several caveats: something was off-putting about Let It Be my first time listening to it until I realized it would be vastly improved if it didn't start off with I Will Dare. Or better yet if they got rid of it entirely. That song blows, and it soured the whole album for me from the beginning. And I lost interest halfway through Tim. Someday I might be interested in that album and their later stuff, but so far everything post Let It Be sounds like the theme songs from Singles and I don't care to wade through any of it.Senor Two Hands! I must disagree.I didn't make it through the album on my first attempt to listen to Let It Be. Hell, I didn't make it to track two! I think I repeated I Will Dare about fifty million times before figuring out that yes, the rest of the album was just as fantastic as that song. Pure pop bliss, great little solo, lyrics that are perfect for dumb but sensitive fourteen year old boys. Salut! I Will Dare!Also, funny that you mention Singles . . . Paul Westerberg was responsible for the non-grunge theme songs on the soundtrack. For the most part, they're innocuous pop songs with decent hooks, but that's still a bummer, because Westerberg's appeal was always how much he meant it. And I agree, most post-Tim stuff doesn't hold up. That said, Pleased To Meet Me has some of the band's highest high points (though it also contains some of their worst songs). And the non-LP track Portland is the only Slim-era song that really, really does it for me. It's Paul at his most countrified without losing the plot at all.God I love this band.