GReg-Electrical Tech Journal Redux

OK,

Here we go...

Continuing from the old thread- viewtopic.php?f=5&t=491

A lot of the missing years of tech fixes at Electrical are going to be transcribed from the physical faults log books we have in each control room. These are the 'in the heat of the moment' scribblings by engineers, and the shorthand solutions. I'll try to expand on them as much as I can remember. The "faults" are written by a bunch of different people, as are some of the solutions, the result of in-session troubleshooting. So some of the entries might read a little more clunky than they used to.

Some major years long projects include-

Replacing all 2000+ pushbutton switches in the custom Neotek Elite in Studio A. This involved a glacial tag-team effort between me and JSP. I would desolder, and remove all the switches, then he'd stuff new ones in, cleaning the button caps at the same time. I also replaced the 5 electrolytic capacitors that deal with filtering and blocking phantom power on every channel's preamp. They originally installed caps rated to 50vDC, just above the 48v, which seems pointlessly close. Long ago, we had a problem with snapping noises on transients when using high output condenser mics, on loud sources (typically toms or snare). The preamp wouldn't be overloading. The snap was apparently produced prior to the pad, like when a head amp of a mic distorts. I found that replacing the DC blocking caps with ones rated for higher voltage, in this case 63v, solved the problem. I might have posted about it at some point but...

We changed most of the multitrack panel/snake connections from Edac to Cannon DL because the Edacs were getting beaten up with all the DAW-Tape changeovers. DL is better suited for frequent, quick changes. Edac is great for semi permanent connections. This was 16x 96 pin connectors, and lead to resnaking and permanently mounting the studio A converters in a rack (finally).

When the pandemic started, I had just ordered parts to make 60 DI boxes because of a facebook post I made about building more for the studio, and people wanted in. My wife and I built this first batch from home, during the first bit of the "lockdown". We now have a little part of the shop dedicated to it at the studio, and after a bunch of hiccups, it'll be a steady flow of production. Everyone here has a hand in building them. To date, we've built a little over 300.

Elsewhere-
I recapped and repaired Wilco's 40 channel Neve 5300 console, two channels at a time. The drop off/pickup routine we had in the first months was like a clandestine drug or espionage document exchange.
Built a run of preamp/eqs.
Did a couple console, and studio installations...

Alright. More later... I kept an off line list of things, which I shouldn't have written in shorthand..

Re: GReg-Electrical Tech Journal Redux

Greg wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:44 pm
Elsewhere-
I recapped and repaired Wilco's 40 channel Neve 5300 console, two channels at a time. The drop off/pickup routine we had in the first months was like a clandestine drug or espionage document exchange.
The console was dropped off and picked up repeatedly? Driving around with a Neve sounds scary to me. Carrying a Neve sounds scary to me.