Crap or non?

CRAP
Total votes: 1 (9%)
NOT CRAP
Total votes: 10 (91%)
Total votes: 11

DRUNKS WITH GUNS

The first side of Second Verses is seriously some of the finest heavy music I have ever heard in my fucking life. How in living hell did Stan Seitrich get that insane guitar tone?

The professionally-recorded version of "Wonderful Subdivision" has the best sounding heavy rhythm section I've ever heard as well.

Not Crap on the basis of that stuff alone. Their other stuff I can kinda take or leave, but that stuff kicks my ass harder than practically anything.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

Groucho Marx wrote:Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

DRUNKS WITH GUNS

SecondEdition wrote: Their other stuff I can kinda take or leave, but that stuff kicks my ass harder than practically anything.

i dunno... 'new wave negro girl' is something else. It's hard to picture that song being played by anyone else quite like that.

This band is pretty unbelievable.
Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

DRUNKS WITH GUNS

Bump.

This band's earlier stuff, I'm still kind of "meh" about, though "New Wave Negro Girl" and "I Got The Gun" ("FUCKED UP ON BEER AND DRUGS!") are truly priceless. (Fun to play on guitar, too.) Why did Doskocil sing like such a retarded tool on that first 7"?

Then comes that unbelievable professional recording of "Wonderful Subdivision" - I maintain that it is the finest, heaviest rhythm section sound ever put down on tape - and everything they put out after that, for a short, short while, is total gold. The first side of Second Verses eats most noise-rock for breakfast. It's so damn good. Stan Seitrich's guitar tone on those recordings is the ultimate noise-rock guitar tone. It may even be better than Thor Eisentrager's. It blows my mind every goddamn time.

Then everything after the first side of Second Verses is total bullshit.

Groucho Marx wrote:Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

DRUNKS WITH GUNS

SecondEdition wrote:Then everything after the first side of Second Verses is total bullshit.

again, i wouldn't make extreme statements like that. 'DWI' is hysterical and i think it rocks. While the Melissa stuff is pretty bad, at least it's kind of funny.

Also, Thor Eisentrager's sound isn't anything like DWG... it's much more psychedelic. If we're going to compare it to the cows we'd need to talk about the rhythm section, and that's - well, that will be difficult. I'm not going to think about that.
Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

DRUNKS WITH GUNS

Ace wrote:
SecondEdition wrote:Then everything after the first side of Second Verses is total bullshit.

again, i wouldn't make extreme statements like that. 'DWI' is hysterical and i think it rocks. While the Melissa stuff is pretty bad, at least it's kind of funny.

I really can't stand the Melissa stuff...it was a funny idea - and one hell of a fuck-you to Doskocil, which was probably the entire point - but it didn't make for good music. I may be giving the Doskocil stuff after the split short shrift, but it's just such a disappointment to hear "Two Minutes" fade out and then get some bullshit like "Drug Problem" or "A Beer" (which is kind of funny but not much else) wafting out the speakers.

Also, Thor Eisentrager's sound isn't anything like DWG... it's much more psychedelic. If we're going to compare it to the cows we'd need to talk about the rhythm section, and that's - well, that will be difficult. I'm not going to think about that.

I'm not really comparing it: it's just that, in my mind, Seitrich and Eisentrager have the best noise guitar sounds, and it's hard to decide which I prefer because they're totally different.

DRUNKS WITH GUNS

From Trouser Press:

"Drunks With Guns frontman Mike (Myk) Doskocil is the subject of many amusing anecdotes told by the good people of St. Louis, MO. One story involves him hurling a hot, gooey bean-and-cheese-filled burrito at some art-guitar clown who was performing at a local club. In another, Doskocil and his girlfriend move into public housing as superintendents and sell drugs to its low-income residents. The all-time best, though, is that Mike once told everyone he knew that he had AIDS (he didn't) just so they'd leave him the fuck alone."