Re: Politics

Anthony Flack wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:04 pm Trump just gets more and more popular in the polls.
Polls are largely a waste of space. They said hillary was going to trounce it in 2016.

Also, it's important to remember that it's often the idiots who shout loudest, which makes it look like there are more of them than there really are.

Having said that, supporting genocide is not a good look, and right now that's the thing losing biden the most support.
Dave N. wrote:Most of us are here because we’re trying to keep some spark of an idea from going out.

Curry Pervert wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:13 pm
Anthony Flack wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:04 pm Trump just gets more and more popular in the polls.
Polls are largely a waste of space. They said hillary was going to trounce it in 2016.

Also, it's important to remember that it's often the idiots who shout loudest, which makes it look like there are more of them than there really are.

Having said that, supporting genocide is not a good look, and right now that's the thing losing biden the most support.
Great point re: genocide. What will it take for this war to end? The whole Trump phenomenon is quite scary indeed.

Curry Pervert wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:13 pm Having said that, supporting genocide is not a good look, and right now that's the thing losing biden the most support.
Which is nuts, because Biden represents the right flank of the party in the US that actually comes closest to giving a fuck about Palestinians, but oh no let's put Stephen Miller back in charge and reinstate the Muslim ban. Let's re-elect Mr "Immigrants are vermin". Trump will be off to meet with Bibi first thing to ask him if he can have a turn shooting one of the missiles and can he build a Trump Tower on the land after Gaza is bulldozed.

Something a lot of politically active people miss is just how weird they/we are compared to the general population.

I doubt the average low info voter even thinks twice about the Israel - Palestine conflict, let along adds a particular politician/party’s position on this into their voting calculus.

It’s very easy to think issues one personally finds fundamental to your sense of self are vastly more prevalent than they are.

Realistically very few people actually care about the plight of the Palestinians beyond a “yeah, that sounds like it sucks”. Even in London with 100.000 hitting the streets it won’t shift the dial on government policy.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

Gramsci wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:07 am Something a lot of politically active people miss is just how weird they/we are compared to the general population.

I doubt the average low info voter even thinks twice about the Israel - Palestine conflict, let along adds a particular politician/party’s position on this into their voting calculus.

It’s very easy to think issues one personally finds fundamental to your sense of self are vastly more prevalent than they are.

Realistically very few people actually care about the plight of the Palestinians beyond a “yeah, that sounds like it sucks”. Even in London with 100.000 hitting the streets it won’t shift the dial on government policy.
Indeed. Biden was battered by gas prices until they sank and now no one speaks of them. In a historically strong job market it's the economy they lament now. Probably because the bill at the grocery store is very high. That's it. Pricey eggs, bad president.

No one, not even the popular media has devoted any real time to putting US inflation in a global context. Short of high brow think pieces, no one seems to clarify how at the start of the recession during the COVID shutdown the president had two choices, economic boosts that would inevitably lead to inflation or a wrecking ball of a depression that would devastate working families. The president made the prudent choice of a stimulus. That president's name was Donald Trump. Biden extended and amplified these actions, obviously, when he took office.

Aside from pricey eggs the other capital offense is "old fucker". There's no way around it. By the end of a second term Biden, if alive, would look like the creepy old man in Poltergeist. But then the other choice would be "fat, old fucker", without considering that he's a criminal.

The DNC and GOP have something uncomfortably in common (and I hate the obtuse "both sides are crazy/dumb" gambit used to diffuse tension at a cocktail party) is they have some kind of procedural inertia that leaves each with an unpopular opinion. Seemingly, the only candidate either has a chance of beating is each other. Polls show Haley would trounce Biden, as opposed to the rematch nail biter we all fear. Polls also show generic Dem ticket is a safer bet than old Joe. Without reopening the two party system can of worms, you can still see arguments that both parties primary processes are not even in their own interests. Both candidates should have faced a more legitimate challenge by means of outspoken senators willing to put pragmatism ahead of careerist impulses to demonstrate a unified front.

I think it’s bizarre they’re running Biden again. Maybe a last minute switch to Gavin Newsom?

You’re totally right about the eggies. US politics are incredibly internalised, even with its Superpower status. I’ve spent a lot of time in the US and nearly moved there. I was pretty shocked how little the outside world is in the “average American’s” field of view if it wasn’t being bombed. Even then only in a superficial way.

Trump winning will be awful but it’s seems the DNC would rather have him win than change in any meaningful way.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

It's not just Americans and it's not just ignorance of the outside world. I was surprised that more people aren't angry about what our new government are doing but the reality is that the majority of people, even voting people, haven't got a fucking clue about any of it and don't care that they don't have a clue, don't think it's important and any conversation about it just sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher going WURP-WURP. And that's democracy.

You'd have a better chance at getting the average person interested in thinking about maths, which is to say no chance.