Beastie Boys

Not Crap
Total votes: 25 (68%)
Crap
Total votes: 12 (32%)
Total votes: 37

Re: The Beastie Boys

A fairly unique group who were written off as goofs at first, but then proved themselves later on. They seemed to be having more fun than everyone else during their peak years in the 90's.

I was late getting into their albums. Passed on seeing the Hello Nasty tour when it came through St. Louis. Oh well.

Not crap. I can understand people who can't stand them, but a lot of their tunes cheer me up.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

Wood Goblin wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:47 am Their apologies for the frat era still seem a little insincere—the frat persona clearly wasn’t just a put-on, even if it had started as one—but their actual *improvement as people* while in the public eye was remarkable. Fame didn’t make them worse!
How exactly was it insincere?
Regardless, they were fucking 17 years old. I was a dipshit well into my 30's. They were cool before and after that blip. And Hold It Now...Hit It, and Paul Revere are both absolute genius.
gonzochicago wrote: Doubling down on life, I guess you could say.

jeff fox wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:04 pm
Wood Goblin wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:47 am Their apologies for the frat era still seem a little insincere—the frat persona clearly wasn’t just a put-on, even if it had started as one—but their actual *improvement as people* while in the public eye was remarkable. Fame didn’t make them worse!
How exactly was it insincere?
Regardless, they were fucking 17 years old. I was a dipshit well into my 30's. They were cool before and after that blip. And Hold It Now...Hit It, and Paul Revere are both absolute genius.
I worked at a gas station in San Diego during (I think) the summer of 1987. One of my co-workers rewrote the lyrics to Paul Revere to support Col. Ollie North. He was a huge fan and sincerely believed that he was clever. I wonder whether encountering meathead fans like that after Licensed to Ill was so popular hastened the band's attitude change.
Formerly LouisSandwich and LotharSandwich, but I can never recover passwords somehow.

Not crap based on the first two albums (yes, once you look past the "rock-rap" songs on "License...", there's a lot of "ill" Def-era Hip-Hop there. That the lyrics are "sexist" and "ignorant"... well, "Straight outta Compton" is still considered classic, no?) and some stray songs here and there on the later, more "clever" and eclectic albums though I don't think any of the 90s albums holds up too well. I also really dug the second issue of Grand Royal with the ambitious Lee Perry overview and the hilarious "mullet" theme... it's 90s to a fault but that issue is very close to my heart and I still read it every year or so

Otherwise, my main problem is that they never really updated their flows but stuck with the same post-Run DMC type yelling which sounded awfully outdated already by 87-88. It's what holds back "pauls boutique" as well... the only thing that has made it age better than De La's sample free-for-all "3 feet high..." from the same year is the absence of skits/interludes, otherwise, there's a reason why "3 feet..." got all the attention that year while "Pauls..." was overlooked:Beasties flows and overall mic presence sounded corny and old and never really improved much either...