Re: Streaming Netflix/Hulu/etc. - what's good lately?

zircona1 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:28 am We started watching Girls 5 Eva. A few episodes in, and it's just ok so far. I've heard it gets better. I really don't like how the scripts have so many celeb references (Dan Cortese?) that are going to require footnotes someday. It's just lazy writing.
I like Paula Pell but yeah previews for this haven't been too promising. Very celebrity pop culture-y indeed, and I think The Other Two and Difficult People kinda nailed that thing already.
Music

I'm really, really digging Tokyo Vice. The crime stuff is fun and I feel like the show makes a solid effort of illustrating/educating about cultural aspects of modern Japanese culture that are only generally alluded to in other shows/films.

I really fucking doubt the guy who wrote the book it's based on experienced half of what is shown in the show, but who cares.
It's really well shot too.

Both seasons of Tokyo Vice have been great. My partner was a tall, blonde knockout in Japan for a few years after graduate school in the 90s, and even if the writer embellished (and of course he did, and if he had not HBO would have), she said that the nightclub/conversation bar scene, particularly in regard to how gaijin women are viewed, was right on.
"And the light, it burns your skin...in a language you don't understand."

penningtron wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:17 am The live John Mulaney talk show (Everybody's in LA) on Netflix seemed like it would suck, but is actually quite funny and unhinged. There's even a piece about LA Punk featuring Watt, George Hurley, Joe Baiza and others. Did not expect that.
Additionally, I heard an episode has a tribute to Steve (they were all filmed within the last week). I believe Mulaney did some stuff for Letters to Santa. Gonna watch that one now.
Music