Re: Small questions that don't fit anywhere

defendyachtrock wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:48 pm Since I’m back on the forum, I feel like I might as well ask something I got a question on a guitar I recently swapped pickups on.

I recently swapped pickups on one of my guitars to a set of GFS Surf 90s (their version of a DeArmond single-coil). They sound good and preeeetty close to the Jumbo MFDs on my G&L ASAT Special (currently my number one), but the MFDs still sound a touch brighter.

The pots in the guitar are 250k for both volume and tone.

Two questions here:

1. Would switching to 330k pots get me just *slightly* brighter on the Surf 90s? If it’s gonna be too trebly or not have an appreciable effect I’d prefer to not do the swap.

2. If I do decide to swap, is it necessary to only do the tone pot or should I swap the volume pot as well?

This may be a lot of words to end up with “you won’t know until you try” but I figured to ask in case someone’s had experience here. (Of course, I played a gig last night and didn’t feel too much of a difference switching between the guitars, so there ya go…)
What's up, buddy!

Here's an easy test. Disconnect the tone pot. Play the two guitars. See if Surf 90s sound as bright. If it gets you there with no tone pot, then I'd put in a 500k no-load tone pot. If it doesn't get you there, then replace both the volume and tone with 500k pots.

Finally, are the strings the same ages on the guitars. There have been so many times when I have been disappointed with a guitar and I started looking at pickup replacements. Then I realized that I'd not changed strings for a while. I changed my strings and my guitar came back to life. The pickups and everything were fine, but the strings were just old.

Cheers, sir!

Thanks Ben! Always a pleasure to hear from you. When I have a chance I’ll hear what it sounds like with the tone pot disconnected.

Strings shouldn’t be an issue, as I swapped out the strings on my blue Mustang when I changed out the pickups about a week ago, whereas I changed the G&L’s strings like… yesterday, much to your good friend and mine Howie’s chagrin, facepalming when I had to retune my guitar several times early in the set.
Formerly FM kazoozak. Guy in Fake Canadian.

defendyachtrock wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:45 pm whereas I changed the G&L’s strings like… yesterday, much to your good friend and mine Howie’s chagrin, facepalming when I had to retune my guitar several times early in the set.
That's when you tell the jokes!

Slight chance I'll be in Sacramento in June. If so, let's have a lunch or something. Also, my new band is looking for shows. I realize this should be a PM, but fuck it.

defendyachtrock wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:48 pm Since I’m back on the forum, I feel like I might as well ask something I got a question on a guitar I recently swapped pickups on.

I recently swapped pickups on one of my guitars to a set of GFS Surf 90s (their version of a DeArmond single-coil). They sound good and preeeetty close to the Jumbo MFDs on my G&L ASAT Special (currently my number one), but the MFDs still sound a touch brighter.

The pots in the guitar are 250k for both volume and tone.

Two questions here:

1. Would switching to 330k pots get me just *slightly* brighter on the Surf 90s? If it’s gonna be too trebly or not have an appreciable effect I’d prefer to not do the swap.

2. If I do decide to swap, is it necessary to only do the tone pot or should I swap the volume pot as well?

This may be a lot of words to end up with “you won’t know until you try” but I figured to ask in case someone’s had experience here. (Of course, I played a gig last night and didn’t feel too much of a difference switching between the guitars, so there ya go…)
Even under the circumstances...

Good to see you stop in, buddy.

Teacher's Pet wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:51 am
Garth wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:29 am
llllllllllllllllllll wrote: I’ll try to look for some kind cable tie solution w/o velcro. I hate that stuff
OK, if you mean the old fashioned Velcro, which we started to put on our sneakers somewhere around 1982, OK. Those can develop little afro dust bunny balls and lose their stickiness which can be unpleasant. But the more modern "short hair" velcro cable ties with a loop? Those are Not Crap, my friend.

Love these things >>
Where can I get these?
"There's a felling I get when I look to the west"
"When the meaningful words. When they cease to function. When there's nothing to say."

numberthirty wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:54 pm
defendyachtrock wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:48 pm Since I’m back on the forum,
Even under the circumstances...

Good to see you stop in, buddy.
Thank you, glad to be back. Might stick around, we’ll see.
Mickey242 wrote: Where can I get these?
Any big-box hardware store will have these in stock. Might also check office supply stores as well. They come in a stack of A Lot so they should last a bit.
Formerly FM kazoozak. Guy in Fake Canadian.

Vintage electrical connector question:

I have a Wurlitzer electric piano and I’m working on the amplifier board. It’s about a 3x5” pcb that amplifies the pickup, drives the onboard speakers and has the tremolo circuit. Connections are made to the board with socketed wires that press onto pins on the board. The pins are circular, 1.5mm diameter and 5ish mm tall. A couple of them pulled out of the board when I was removing the wires.

So I’d like to get replacements and solder them back in, but I think these things are obsolete. Is there a modern solution to this? I can’t really use standard header blocks as the pins don’t conform to any traditional spacing. I could solder on short leads on the board and use m/f connectors but also I’m not sure what a good practice would be.

This is a bit hard to describe without a photo, but I’ll try and post one later.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com