Re: Requiescat FM Steve

twelvepoint wrote:
the corpo wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:00 am
twelvepoint wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:52 am Maybe I missed it, but have any arrangements been made for in-memory-of donations in Steve's name to a charitable cause?
I saw this on his memorial page

https://sympathy.legacy.com/en-us/funer ... E1NzgxNDg0
Ok, thanks. Well, tree purchased. Seems woefully inadequate. Shouldn't we all be looking into like a memorial library or 10 foot tall bronze (aluminum?) statue?
Not a physical artifact, but sustained involvement in Letters to Santa sounds like doing right by the man's example.

Throwing this out there: I've spent this whole week reading and watching and listening to anything related to Steve, and fortunately, thanks to his own generosity and the sheer amount of people he's had an impact on, there's a ton. Some ghouls have already published e-books in his name - without doubt AI-rewritings of Wikipedia articles and interviews - but it got me thinking:

Steve considered it his primary job to make a "historical record of our musical culture", but a large amount of his life's work, particularly the parts he handed out freely, exist only in forgetful brains and ephemeral digital spaces, so maybe it would be appropriate to turn them into a physical object, too: A few of his essays, fanzine articles, transcriptions of talks and podcast appearances, a glossary of his opinions on different musicians and bands, his fluffy coffee recipe, some of his technical drawings, some personal recollections from his friends, some correspondences... (I just saw James Murphy here talking about Steve's response to a letter he wrote to him as a kid, and teared up a little, because it encapsulates so much of what made him great.)

Anyway, just wanted to put this idea of a book out here, because I think it would be a fitting tribute that some people on this forum seem equipped for, and that maybe could generate some money for his wife (and/or Letters to Santa) in the future.

prowler wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:59 am FM vish's remembrance of steve is all i hoped it would be. i obviously don't have the connection that he (and some of you) had with the man, but his interviews always made me share in that world a little bit
I love that Steve is wearing a Beastqueef shirt
Escape Rope (guitar & vocals & production)
Black Mesa (drums & production since 2019)
fka Boombats, Lonesome Bulldog, and sambpot but NOT Cocend

Peter wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:25 pm Throwing this out there: I've spent this whole week reading and watching and listening to anything related to Steve, and fortunately, thanks to his own generosity and the sheer amount of people he's had an impact on, there's a ton. Some ghouls have already published e-books in his name - without doubt AI-rewritings of Wikipedia articles and interviews - but it got me thinking:

Steve considered it his primary job to make a "historical record of our musical culture", but a large amount of his life's work, particularly the parts he handed out freely, exist only in forgetful brains and ephemeral digital spaces, so maybe it would be appropriate to turn them into a physical object, too: A few of his essays, fanzine articles, transcriptions of talks and podcast appearances, a glossary of his opinions on different musicians and bands, his fluffy coffee recipe, some of his technical drawings, some personal recollections from his friends, some correspondences... (I just saw James Murphy here talking about Steve's response to a letter he wrote to him as a kid, and teared up a little, because it encapsulates so much of what made him great.)

Anyway, just wanted to put this idea of a book out here, because I think it would be a fitting tribute that some people on this forum seem equipped for, and that maybe could generate some money for his wife (and/or Letters to Santa) in the future.
Having done roughly the same I think this is a great idea, but it surely would require a huge effort.

Speaking of tees. The good folks at the studio posted on socials that they’d sold out of everything but have set the merch shop for pre orders for a new run… time to get those pencils you always wanted.

I couldn’t help myself and ordered a tee.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

guilty_mug wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:35 am Having done roughly the same I think this is a great idea, but it surely would require a huge effort.
Agreed, I think both of our ideas (I love yours as well, by the way) would have to involve Electrical Audio and Steve's close friends, and they all have bigger fish to fry right now, so I wouldn't want to bother them with it now. Maybe in a few months from now someone could start a thread on here and we could collect Steve's writings etc. and build a basic framework.

But I'm literally some chump in some village in Bavaria with no prior involvement in this forum and no personal ties to Chicago, so I'm the certified least competent person to orchestrate something like this. But if someone does, I'd be happy to help with some dumb grunt work (like writing transcriptions, proofreading etc.). In the meantime I'll just save everything I find interesting on my computer, so that nothing gets lost in the ether.