Re: GReg-Electrical Tech Journal Redux

losthighway wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:57 pm
Greg wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:44 pm
Elsewhere-
I recapped and repaired Wilco's 40 channel Neve 5300 console, two channels at a time. The drop off/pickup routine we had in the first months was like a clandestine drug or espionage document exchange.
The console was dropped off and picked up repeatedly? Driving around with a Neve sounds scary to me. Carrying a Neve sounds scary to me.
Greg wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:44 pm ...two channels at a time...
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thetonyballs/

Dr Tony Balls wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:17 am
Elsewhere-
I recapped and repaired Wilco's 40 channel Neve 5300 console, two channels at a time. The drop off/pickup routine we had in the first months was like a clandestine drug or espionage document exchange.
The console was dropped off and picked up repeatedly? Driving around with a Neve sounds scary to me. Carrying a Neve sounds scary to me.
Greg wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:44 pm ...two channels at a time...
And the winner of today's reading shootout is..... Dr. Balls! I look silly.

I might still get a little nervous with a couple channels is my car though.

Elsewhere-
IIRC, the loft's neve was formerly owned by Sheryl Crow and was her "portable" recording rig. ie, it would be carted with her on tour and set up in whatever hotel she was at so she could record on the road, so it's definitely seen a lot of pickups and drop-offs in its day.

mdc wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:09 pm.

IIRC, the loft's neve was formerly owned by Sheryl Crow and was her "portable" recording rig. ie, it would be carted with her on tour and set up in whatever hotel she was at so she could record on the road, so it's definitely seen a lot of pickups and drop-offs in its day.
Wow. Can you imagine? That's someone who's made it.

losthighway wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:30 pm
mdc wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:09 pm.

Wow. Can you imagine? That's someone who's made it.
Everyday is a winding road Greg! If it makes you happy!
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

Elsewhere-
Ha!
Sorry, no. We exchanged 2 channels at a time.

Yeah, the console is in two pieces on casters, with a now anchored patchbay. When they bought it, you could roll it across the floor like a stalled go-cart.

Studio A-

8/23/19

UREI 1178-
Has a dead spot in ch A input knob. Ch A-B also seem out of calibration.

Exercised pot a bunch. It will always be a bit crunchy (carbon pot +DC). Might replace next time it needs to be removed.

9/2/19

Studer A820 16-track-
[from studio log book] "Ch15 has a grumble noise playing back quiet music off the repro head, fine from sync.
Reseated cards, in repro, oscillation showed on meters. shotgunned channel w/24. Problem persisted. Swapped bus converter card, problem persisted. Swapped D-sub/head amp cards (middle to right) under head block [Repro preamp boards], problem persists. No solution."

Repro head needed to have it's cores "regrounded". I measured 250kΩ from the edge of track 15 to ground. This should be <1Ω.
I can't remember if I did the grounding with conductive epoxy, or I sent it to JRF. It would have depended on how busy things were...
Either way, it was taken care of.

9/11/19
Main Westlake monitors-
Left side seems sightly louder sounding. Problem doesn't appear on B speakers (B&Ws).

Discovered a difference in output level on the bass half of the (bi)power amps. Adjusted to to have matched output levels.

9/11-12/19

Studer A820 -
Channel 24 with the 16 track heads on (channel automatically shut off) was presenting the signal generator on its output.
Problem followed NRS Cont board.

NRS control board can't produce an output signal on its own. That has to come from the line amplifier board. "Mute" should be on (via mute logic command sent to the line amp). However, the NRS board somehow corrupted mute signal.
Replaced IC12 (TC4556), and the problem went away. This chip deals with the addressing signals.
Maybe a coincidence...

Studio A

9/13/19
Studer A820MCH -
Ch 21 Studer HF calibration unstable, failing. Repro level high, then low. Shotgunned with ch 5 of B machine.

Several bad DACs (7524) and a bad IC10 (5532) on the Repro amp board. Possibly from manhandling, static?

9/29/19
Elite ch 13 signal intermittent when fader input is "MIC". Problem linked to "LINE" switch, when up (fader source select section).

Intermittent "LINE" Switch. Channel replaced with reswitched one.

Studio B

8/21/19
Instrument tie line from control room to isolation ("Instrument #2") seems to cause level & "tone" loss, compared to #1 (guitar going straight into amp).

Partial short between T+S via the conductive black liner surrounding signal wire insulation. Stripped and dressed better.

9/20/19
AB amp (control room monitor amp);
Slight hum on the output – need to switch connectors to xlr, (currently TRS to TS i/p).

This was swapped in for another amp to trouble shoot something I don't remember. The existing wiring to the amp terminated to TRS 1/4" connectors. The AB amp has XLR ins and TS 1/4" ins. I replaced the TRS connecors with XLRs. Much quieter.