Re: Gear: TALK ME OUT OF IT or JUSTIFY MY PURCHASE?

tallchris wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:31 pm Maybe I should make another thread about wanting to sell gear since you don't really use it, but not really having anything you want to buy instead. Like "talk me out of owning this" or "justify me selling this" or something.
I think this thread could be "talk me out of selling" or "talk me out of hanging on' or justify selling or really anything tech-room related.

jirbling rake wrote: Elk solid state amps. Please share why this shouldn’t be owned (besides high cost of shipping):

https://reverb.com/item/78294426-elk-vi ... ol-tremolo
Most old school solid state amps aren't really anything super special. A few gems have a unique sound to them & this may or may not be one of them.

I think the biggest thing for me here is that the price seems high for what it is. I'd never pay more than $200 probably for an old unknown solid state amp and even then I'd probably want to hear it first.

2x what FMGARTH said. I've owned a number of esoteric Japanese solid-state amps in the past and none of them were anything particularly useful. Just weird or cool looking. Japanese electronics of this era weren't known for their reliability either.

You'd also probably need to get a 120 VAC to 100 VAC step-down transformer to run it properly, as you can't guarantee that the components in there can handle a 20% voltage overage.

Talk me out of SELLING a guitar:

Odessa Deadbeat. It was a fairly custom deal, wasn't too expensive all things considered, but since I got my '73/74 Tele Deluxe, I just haven't been playing most of my other guitars. The Odessa is the one that has the least amount of sentimental value, but is also kind of "one-of-a-kind" and has a pickup config that none of the other guitars have.

Lately I've been on a "if it isn't getting used, sell it" kick, but for some reason I can't seem to part w/ this one right now. Thoughts?
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

Current -
Future Living / Daddy's Boy / Blank Banker / Solo

Fomer -
Hungry Man / No Trust / Retreaters

Nate Dort wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:06 am 2x what FMGARTH said. I've owned a number of esoteric Japanese solid-state amps in the past and none of them were anything particularly useful. Just weird or cool looking. Japanese electronics of this era weren't known for their reliability either.

You'd also probably need to get a 120 VAC to 100 VAC step-down transformer to run it properly, as you can't guarantee that the components in there can handle a 20% voltage overage.
Also even the good-sounding ones are often frequently weak in the power section. Very difficult to be heard w/ a drummer w/ out a really nice PA/monitors.

four_oclocker_2.2 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:17 am Talk me out of SELLING a guitar:

Odessa Deadbeat. It was a fairly custom deal, wasn't too expensive all things considered, but since I got my '73/74 Tele Deluxe, I just haven't been playing most of my other guitars. The Odessa is the one that has the least amount of sentimental value, but is also kind of "one-of-a-kind" and has a pickup config that none of the other guitars have.

Lately I've been on a "if it isn't getting used, sell it" kick, but for some reason I can't seem to part w/ this one right now. Thoughts?
I think you could first apply the "wait a week and if you still want to" rule here in reverse of buying.

What's the custom pickup config?

four_oclocker_2.2 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:17 am Talk me out of SELLING a guitar:

Dont
"There's a felling I get when I look to the west"
"When the meaningful words. When they cease to function. When there's nothing to say."